Cockpit cover for 2005 Bayliner 175

Mikejr

Seaman
I am thinking about making my own cockpit cover for our 2005 Bayliner 175. We use the boat for a solid 2.5 weeks at a cottage, where the boat lives on a buoy and then for the rest of the year it occupies the carport, so it's well protected from the weather. The boat came with a bow cover, but we have nothing to cover the cockpit with while the boat's moored.

I've priced out cockpit covers and they range from $600-$800 for models either to the windshield top or to cover it to the front. We already have snaps in place below the windshield for the bow cover and they wrap up under the windshield center panel that opens, so thinking of just going to the windshield top (like picture).

Cost - The fabric is worth about $200 so these prices seem high given it should take someone who knows what they're doing a couple hours to make this - even if 4 hours, that's pretty pricey labour.

Six questions:
  1. How hard is it make a cockpit cover from scratch? And is this someone someone with basic skills can even take on?(or see end of Q.6)
  2. I've measured the width (75" on centre gunnel to gunnel) and the length from the top of the windshield to the swim platform is just over 9'. Does this mean I need two runs of 46" wide canvas (Sunbrella) that are 4 yards each or 8 total linear yards?
  3. Would anyone suggest if there is a better fabric than 10 year Sunbrella?
  4. Can someone suggest the right snaps to purchase and the best way to install to so they don't spider crack the gel coat?
  5. Is there any advantage of going over the windshield to it's base?
  6. Lastly, if I go to the front of the windshield, i'd prefer to snap onto where the bow cover goes (less holes and will move water off better). Is there such a thing as snap onto a snap so I can snap in the bow cover, then snap the cockpit cover down onto the bow cover? Is this a dumb idea?
Thank you!
Mike

Attachments

• photo223538.JPG
    photo223538.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It really depends on your sewing skills. You can buy the snaps and a tool to put then on at any marine store. I love Sunbrella but it takes a commercial quality sewing machine to do edging. You'll be going thru three layers of fabric.

I think the main advantage of a cover that goes over the windshield is that it protects the windshield from rocks and other debris that could crack the windshield if you use the cover while towing.

Mikejr

Seaman
I think the main advantage of a cover that goes over the windshield is that it protects the windshield from rocks and other debris that could crack the windshield if you use the cover while towing.
Excellent - thanks for clarifying. I have a travel cover so will likely opt for the simpler option to the top of the windshield.