cobra shifting problem

ccross

Recruit
I have tried to go to <br /> http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/ <br />but it is not available.<br />The shifting on my unit is kaput.<br />I can go into foward but reverse is extremly hard.<br />I have a red tru transom cable, if that helps.<br />I followed the steps in my chilton OMC guide and that didnt help. After adjusting it worked stiff a couple of times then freezes up. any ideas? I have a ford 5.0/ cobra<br />Thanks,<br />Chuck

aceman

Recruit
Re: cobra shifting problem

if the boat is having trouble going into gear and if the outdrive cable is more than a few years old, the cable is more than likely the problem.<br /> be sure to check the cable and interrupt system for proper operation and adjustment after the cable is replaced, this will ensure it comes out of gear properly as well as going in .<br /> good luck !

aniort

Recruit

i've got a bigger omc so this may not apply, but i have found that the piece in the outdrive where the shift cable terminates can become corroded and essentially freeze up to where you can't move the linkages, dogs and gears.<br /><br />on my omc it sits sort of next to and behind the cathodic protection block. hard to get to. had to take the outdrive off to find, clean and replace bad parts.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Chuck....I would go back and try Stuarts site again (I tried just before I posted to make sure your link was OK and it worked fine) Stuart actually put some diagrams and instructions for these adjustments right out of the OMC manual which in my opinion is far better than the other manuals out there. Disconnect the 2 shift cables at the shift brkt and operate manually to see which one is stiff. When doing the transom shift cable it's better to have someone with you to spin the prop as you are trying to put it into gear.