Cobra lower shift cable adj: the " 5 Steps"

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just put a new lower shift cable in my 90' 4.3 Cobra. I carefully went step for step from the OMC manual (downloaded from Iboats- -thank you).

Okay, cable installed; used alignment tool for bellcrank held at 90; measured out 7 & 9/16" on the cable at the shift lever/engine.

Next step: 5 Steps of the Engine Shift Bracket Adjustment in the OMC manual.

Problem: no illustration of the shift lever assembly at the engine in the manual or online that I can find. I know what a trunnion is now but terms like cable anchor etc. are foreign to me. I've gone over these 5 steps seemingly a millions times; I believe I can execute the procedure but it would be very nice to match these terms with where they are on the shift lever.

OMC fell short in this part of the manual in depicting where these items are on the shift lever. Can anyone help?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cobra lower shift cable adj: the " 5 Steps"

I carefully went step for step from the OMC manual (downloaded from Iboats- -thank you).

You may have downloaded it from iboats, but it's not put there by iboats, you downloaded it from a members site that posted it for others. Probably from this thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309093

Also notice, that it's not the OEM manuals, but the aftermarket ones as stated.
For details, you need to get the OEM manuals, and they are not downloadable.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cobra lower shift cable adj: the " 5 Steps"

Thanks Don. You wouldn't happen to have an illustration of the shift lever assembly at the engine (4.3 litre)?