cobra 4.3 Litre shift interupt module

Barletta208

Recruit
I have a 1991 Sunbird with a 4.3 Litre V6 with a cobra outdrive. Last year it started stalling when shifted into reverse. In forward it worked fine. The shift interupt switch was tested and works fine. According to a repair manual thru the process of illimination it points to the electronic interupt module. The engine has been tuned up with new pieces and idles very smooth and operates fine when in nuetrol. I have installed a new interupt module along with the new switch that came with it. Now it appears the switch is activating the module as it should when shifted into either forward or reverse- the only problem is it causes a delay of approx. 8 - 9 seconds during which the engine RPM's drop and runs very rough. After the 8 - 9 second delay the engine smooths out and seems to run perfect. A mechanic says he thinks it could be the shift cable. The cable operates the fingers and seems to operated the actual shift interupt switch as it should. When the shift interupt switch and module are disconnected the engine shifts into reverse or forward with no drop in RPM's and runs smoothly with no roughness. <br />Could the new interupt module be faulty or could it actually be the cable or something else?

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: cobra 4.3 Litre shift interupt module

Do you have the new ESA switch without the overstroke switch? That model has a timer, which could also be faulty.<br /> <br />I just had to replace a sticking shift cable; that is apparently the cause of many of these ESA problems.

Barletta208

Recruit

Yes, it is the new switch that came with the new module and the instructions were to cut the wires to the overstroke switch and just let the switch bolted there. So now there is one shift interrupt switch that wires directly to the new module. I disconnected the shift cable from the arm and it moves freely so that appears to be fine.

Barletta208

Recruit

One last thing - How long of a time out should the module operate for? I thought it was only supposed to last approximately a half second or so. When I manually operate the interupt switch (which completely eliminates any shift cable issues), if I keep the switch activated it takes about 8 - 9 seconds for the engine to return to normal RPM's and smooth idle. Is there anyway to actually check the module with an Ohm meter?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I was under the impression that the new ESA with the timer would still drop after the switch returned to normal, in other words if you hold it activated for 2 secs and then let it go the module should return the RPM to normal, worst case if the switch stuck the timer will cut out after 8 to 9 secs. You need to watch the shift bracket and the V shape notch while having someone put it into gear, if the v shape notch (which activates the switch) does not return to normal at the end of the shift and keeps the switch activated then you could have a sticky or mal adjusted lower shift cable

karayj

Chief Petty Officer

see if thies helps:Number<br />: 020076T MIC: <br />Company: Company Official: MERCURY MARINE <br />Model Name: MCM 4.3L 5.0L 5.7L 350 MAG Model Year: <br />Problem 1: SHIFTER DELAY <br />Problem 2: SHIFT INTERRUPT SPRING <br />HIN: Case Open Date: 05/07/2002 <br />Disposition: OPEN Case Close Date: <br />Units: 10603 Campaign Open Date: 05/07/2002 <br />Boat Type: 33 Campaign Close Date: <br />Severity: L <br />Comments: ON THESE ENGINES THE SHIFT PLATE ASSEMBLY HAS A SHIFT INTERRUPT SPRING WITH THE WRONG TENSION. INCORRECT TENSION CAN DELAY THE SHIFT FROM FORWARD OR REVERSE TO NEUTRAL. MCM 4.3L EFI ALPHA STERNDRIVE ENGINES SERIAL NUMBER RANGE 0L360000 THROUGH 0L646896. MCM 5.0L EFI ALPHA STERNDRIVE ENGINES SERIAL NUMBER RANGE 0L331631 THROUGH 0L331650 AND SERIAL NUMBER RANGE 0L340000 THROUGH 0L647190. MCM 5.7L EFI ALPHA STERNDRIVE ENGINES SERIAL NUMBER RANGE 0L331954 THROUGH 0L331973 AND SERIAL NUMBER RANGE 0L340000 THROUGH 0L647190. MCM 350 MAG MPI ALPHA STERNDRIVE ENGINES SERIAL NUMBER RANGE 0L340000 THROUGH 0L647190. AS OF MAY 31, 2002 4, 458 UNITS HAD ALREADY BEEN CORRECTED. 01/30/03 CUR#2 RECVD. 4634 UNITS OF 10603 CORRECETED. 03/24/03 cur#3 RCVD 4648 UNITS CIORRECTED. <br /><br /> http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_search_results.aspx

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

seasprite - The header for his posting says "Cobra".<br /><br />This thread has nothing to do with Mercury products.

Barletta208

Recruit

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!<br /> The SELOC repair manual had no information indicating the relationship between the lower shift cable and the ESA module. I didn't realize the lever with the fingers was supposed to return to the middle posistion. Once I lowered the outdrive to minimize the bend in the cable, oiled the cable, and played with the adjustment it would return to the middle position with the slight vibration of the engine running. Although the cable seemed to move without binding it appears that it was just a little stiff and needed a little adjustment. Looks like a new cable is in order!<br /> Even the semi-intelligent thing to do is to replace the lower shift cable! Not much fun messing with the engine stalling out and playing bumper-boats around the docks.<br /><br />Thanks again for the help!!!!!