Cobia Fishing

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have just moved to Hilton Head Island, Sc. My neighbor said that the cobia should start running soon. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on bait and/or technique for catching cobia out of inlet waterways. Also if anyone know when or at what water temp they get active would be good to know as well. Thanks for any help..

shrimp1

Recruit
Re: Cobia Fishing

not sure about the inlets, but the way I have seen them caught is if you can find a sea turtle or anything else floating in the water, the cobia will be using it for shade. Cast to the object with a surface or shallow running crankbait and hold on! These are one of the finest eating fish I have ever tasted!! Awesome

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have just moved to Hilton Head Island, Sc. My neighbor said that the cobia should start running soon. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on bait and/or technique for catching cobia out of inlet waterways. Also if anyone know when or at what water temp they get active would be good to know as well. Thanks for any help..

Well, I lived in Beaufort for 15 years and fished all the waters between there and Hilton Head. Best rig- use a "kingfish" style rig with a light steel leader, a hook and another steel leader and hook attached to the first hook/loop. Bait- live eel. Hook the eel through the lips and the second hook about 3/4 back. And, as above, Cobia do like floating objects- they are even attracted to your boat. By the way- I miss those waters. I am in south Texas and have been fishing the Laguna Madre with zero luck. I've talked to everyone here about where to go, what to use, etc... and haven't caught much. In Beaufort we'd catch cobia, shark, spanish mackeral, etc....

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

72 degrees is a magic number for most pelagic (migratory) fish. That doesn't mean you can't catch them at other temps but that seems to be optimum. If you ever bring one in green (not tired) then you can expect much mayhem onboard! They go berzerk! I've seen them destroy Igloo coolers that they were put in. They are a VERY hard fighting and tasty fish. I know this is a late post but there is always next year. They are also leader shy (no steel) so 60# mono works fine until a Big Mack Attack happens (King Mackerel) . You can improve your chances by using something that looks like an eel. They LOVE eels. I used a 12" Manns plastic worm (black) and outfished everyone on the boat despite much ridicule beforehand. Good fishing, MJ.

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i also live in beaufort but have had 0 luck on the fish side, plenty of shark. any help woudl be appreciated.

david_g

Recruit

mobyjaws is right about the berzerk part. This past June I was trolling for kings/dolphin 20 miles off of Oak Island NC. The way back went off but I didn't think it was a king. It was fast but not that fast. It turned out to be a 55lb 6 oz cobia. I finally drug it over the bow rail 70 minutes after hookup using 20 lb king gear. Even after fighting over an hour this fish went nuts. By the time he was done both my ankles were brused and he was at the transom. Blood was from one end of the boat to the other. After washing down the boat as best I could I headed in since I didn't have a fish box large enough to ice it. Just kept pouring water on it every 10 minutes or so.

peacekeeper6

what was your setup? what speed were you moving at? i cant wait to get back and try some off shore fishing.

david_g

Recruit

I have a small boat (22' cc) so I only drag 5 lines. Usually use ballyhoo or cigar minnows since I'm not that good at catching bait. When I rig for kings I try different things till I find what works. Different colored skirts, some naked. If I'm using cigars I rig some double. I caught the cobia on king rigged ballyhoo on the surface. Most folks make their own king rigs and each will make them different. For ballyhoo I make them with a weighted single hook thru the nose with a #6 stinger. The weighted hook helps keep the hoo from spinning. If you're going to make your own rigs then get the SPRO swivels. These things are tiny and when used with small size leader seem to get more strikes.

peacekeeper6

hum when i get out on the water iw ill have to remember this. thanx!

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Sebasitian-

I live in Savannah which is not far away. I can't help you as far as the technique but I work (marine diesel mechanic) on a lot of fishing boats and charter boats and can get the scoop as to when they are biting for ya.

I want to learn to wakeboard some time, maybe we can get together. You DID bring the boat with didn't ya? No worries, I have one.