Cobia Fishing Help?

kwk

Seaman
I live in Virginia and want to catch some cobia this season in the Chesapeake Bay.<br /><br />Could I get some advice? Water temp, what size line and how much, bait, what do to do once I hook it, etc?<br /><br />Thanks.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cobia Fishing Help?

I don't know about the Chesapeake, but in the Gulf of Mexico we use medium sized spinning rigs with about 20 lb line. Red and white Creek Chubs, medium sized jigs and other "cobia lures" are used but nothing beats a big live shrimp in my experience. Make sure it's completely worn out before you put it in the boat. Cobia are notorious for tearing up everything if they're brought in green. Remember also not to bring them in until you have another one hooked. The other fish will stay with a hooked one and take another bait. Good luck.

vbfishing

Cadet

The cobia bite doesn't come on for a little while yet. They like the water a little warmer than it is right now. <br /><br />As far as tackle and bait, you will need a good strong rod and 20-40lb test. There are several ways to fish for them, but most folks use a fish finder rig and a good size hook with cut bunker, live spot, or live eels.<br /><br />In late May or early June cobia begin coming in the bay from the south in droves, they like to hang around structures, so you can try casting a tube eel or live spot around the buoys from Rudee inlet north through the CB line.<br /><br />Also, folks anchor up on Lattimer Shoals and fish with the fish finder rigs while chumming and using menhaden oil to make a slick. <br /><br />Any way you do it, don't get discouraged if you don't get on them your first few times. Cobia fishing is like anything else, keep trying at it long enough, and eventually you get it right!

vbfishing

Cadet

Oh yeah, cobia come to the surface when hooked 80% of the time (my experience.) <br /><br />So the initial fight might not be much, then they make some good runs, one after they surface and one after they see the boat.<br /><br />Be careful of a big fish if it is green, they kick up a storm!

Tarponmaster

Cadet

You can throw just about anything at them. Try baits under a popping cork and pop the bobber with hard splashes to get their attention. Try any lure that makes noise or splashes, cobia on topwater is alot of fun.

LadyFish

Admiral

A few years ago I caught a 68 lb. Cobia. We were trolling slow, seas were 1-2's, water temp was in the 70's, and I was using a dead cigar minnow. <br /><br />Good luck, they're a thrill to catch. :)