Coasty Opinions (ButchA et all?)

eeboater

Commander
When I was 16 I joined the USCG Auxiliary in Green Bay. It was a great learning experience plus I got to hang out and watch hot babes at the boat launch all day while getting to wear my "important" looking uniform. <br /><br />But the whole time I wondered, what do real Coast Guard members think of the Auxiliarist? Are they considered a PITA? Or are we ok since we take some of the tedious tasks away from you guys.<br /><br />Go ahead, be honest - I can take it. :D <br /><br />Sean

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Coasty Opinions (ButchA et all?)

ee. I was in the Coast Guard '87 to '94. We thought very highly of the Aux. They were a great help to us, especially on the weekends when you can get overwhelmed rather easily. We were stopped all the time by boaters wanting a courtesey safety inspection. We would just call up one of the auxiliarists (and there were always a few on the water) and they would come right over. They also helped with search and rescue operations. I was stationed at Jones Beach,NY and that area has miles and miles of back bay waterways. It could take us hours to search them all if we didn't have their help. Not at all a PITA. Good friends and lots of great memories.

D

DJ

The law enforcement personnel that I know think highly (in general) of volunteer organizations.<br /><br />There are some "loose cannons" out there, on both sides.<br /><br />But, again, in general, they like them. It spreads their influence over a much wider area. "Eyes and ears", so to speak.

eeboater

Commander

Alrighty, I kinda thought that was the case... but wanted to hear from the horses mouth.<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

This horse says " Bravo" to the USCGA. Great organization, and some very knowledgeable members. Very Underated.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I grew up on the Chesapeake bay, and I have nothing but respect for the CGV fleet. They were always very professional and towed me for free more than once. (1st Boat). Yall get a huge thums up from me.<br /> :cool: ;) :)

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I worked closely with the USCCG Aux when I was in (9th District Eastern Region, Buffalo, NY). They are a great bunch of people and a credit to the USCG! :D <br /><br />They also know how to party when the occasion calls for it too! I have been to some flotilla parties and conferences and don't remember much afterwards. Seems there was a story about me, walking the floors of a hotel in Cleveland, OH at 2:00am, singing and playing my guitar, drunk out of my mind... A few guys from the Aux found me, picked me up, and carried me to my room. :eek: <br /><br />I always looked up to and admired the USCG Aux, not just because they are strickly volunteer, but because they always looked out for everyone and gave 100% of their time.<br /><br />"Butch" Ammon<br />YN1, USCG (Ret)

eeboater

Commander

I've seen some of the footage in the sea just off the coast of Washington... Not sure what that area is, but it looked BAD.<br /><br />Sean

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's the Columbia River (Oregon/Washington) where it leads to Cape Disappointment. The USCG has the Motorlifeboat School there. It is the most nastiest, gnarliest, ocean swells and seas on the west coast. They can actually roll over the 44's and new 47's in the high surf, and they right themselves back up! :eek: <br /><br />Butch A.

eeboater

Commander

I heard about those 44's and 47's!!! I saw video of them righting themselves. The guys on the vessels need to be strapped in in cast they roll!!!<br /><br />Sean

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While I was never in the USCG or the USCGA, I used to fish out of Ilwaco Harbor, right next to Cape D. Those boats are amazing! I remember watching them test some of the new at the time 47' MLBs. That area of the Columbia River and the Pacific are truely nasty, 6 knot river current meeting a 6 knot incoming tide = a mess of a bar. My hat is off to all that serve the Coast Guard (and all service braches) and the Aux. and reservists.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was never in the Guard, but being a retired Marine, I would go over to the E Club for a beer or two at Floyd Bennett Field. When The Coast Guard was there, it was Air Station Brooklyn. I got fairly friendly w/ most of the personnel, & played ball on their team for two or three years. A couple of the Coasties & I took a few of the Aux. offered courses, All thought they were very professional & a good asset. Joe P.S. I would always kid them, saying "I didn't join the coast Guard because I couldn't make the height requirement, as I am only 5'11", & one needed to be 6' so they could walk to shore"

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

USCG Aux???<br /><br />What a freaking joke they are around here. <br /><br />It was quite a entertaining last summer when the drunk on his azz loser ASCGAux that also works @ the local West Marine spent a half hour ramming around the marina waving his USCGAux flag, blowing his horn, and yelling at everyone that they better listen up to his 'cause he is the law.<br /><br />We laughed so hard our sides hurt.<br /><br />He is typical of the morons we have locally.<br />We totally ignore them or flip them the bird if they come near.<br /><br />Total jokes.

eeboater

Commander

Better be careful now bomar... I think in Green Bay the Aux now has the right to board and ticket...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Those fatazzslugs (average weight is 450 lbs) boarding my boat would be a no go.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yo, bomar76.... Easy there, huh? :mad: You don't know much about the USCGAux, do you? They volunteer their time and are a dedicated bunch of people. You might want to watch what you say, because you never know, there may come a time when you need them to help you.<br /><br /> http://www.cgaux.org <br /><br />Butch A.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I stand by my opinions of the LOCAL USCGAux "members"<br />I assume you condone their idiotic behavior just because they donate their time and show up to a bunch of meetings??<br />Obnoxious drunken displays by their "members" are to be overlooked? <br />Their bissful ignorance of boating rules and regs are no big deal?<br /><br />If they are any better somewhere else, good for them.