Coast Guard Plate....LAW?

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My buddy is buying a boat and it looks like someone removed the Coast Guard Plate (weight/number of persons etc.). Does law require a boat to have one in order to be legal? He will most likely be putting in at state controlled/regulated launches in Central PA. By the way, the boat he is buying is 16 ft. w/ a 115 hp outboard in case that matters. Thanks in advance for the help!

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Coast Guard Plate....LAW?

I am almost positive that the USCG requires all boats under 20 ft. to have a capacity plate. State laws may require more but I would start at the Coast Gaurds web site.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

depends on the state. Not ALL states require the plate. Some states have an interesting loophole in the law that if the plate is present, it is the law, but if there is no plate, then it is a judgement call.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

**deleted**

Last edited:

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys! It sounds like he needs to call the PA Fish and Boat Commission.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The CG started requiring the plates in 1972. Mine has never had one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys! It sounds like he needs to call the PA Fish and Boat Commission.

Fish and Boat has been really helpful compared to many other states bureaucracy I've read about on here. That were great when I bought my boat and had no title or registration. My uncle acquired an old tinny with no plate and he supplied them with dimensions and they issued him a new capacity sticker. Give them a call.

Andy in NY

Commander

So what should I do about mine, its a 73 and has a plate, but is not legible...

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Again thanks guys! My buddy called the PA Fish and Boat Commission and they took care of him. And FYI, in PA anything under 20 feet needs one except for canoes, kayaks, pontoons, and non-powered sailboats.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yup, individual states usually do use the USCG regs, verbatim.

As for older boats, you can sometimes get new placards from aftermarket sources, as ezmobee pointed out.

I have an old Glassmaster trihull, and have the same problem with legibility - I have the plate, but its not legible. What I do is to carry a printout copy of the plate that I found on the internet. I've only had one agency ask for it and they accepted the info. From a strict interpretation of the regs, they shouldn't have, but I guess I ended up dealing with a pragamatic person. That said, my boat is obviously underpowered (rated for 130hp and has 65hp) and has all the required safety gear, plus more. I also have a USCG courtesy inspection sticker on it.