Coast Guard crash

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
I just heard on the news.<br />Coast Guard helicopter crashed in the sea while attempting to rescue sailors from a Malaysian cargo freighter.<br />10 people were put into the sea, 4 were rescued.<br />6 people are still missing. Survival in these frigid waters is estimated at maximum of 3 hours.<br />Please utilize the power of your thoughts, and if you are a praying person, your prayers for these brave personnel.<br /><br />AK Chappy

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Coast Guard crash

Prayers are going up for them, and their families.

KaGee

Admiral

How trajic..... God bless our brave men and women that put their lives on the line for us everyday.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Another loss in assisting others. It is sad, very sad.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Update.<br />This was on the 10:00 news last night. Just watched the news this morning. They are still searching for the six.<br />They were trying to rescue sailors from a tanker, not a freighter. 30 mph winds, 20 foot seas, ship ran aground when anchor cables broke. Ship has now broken in two, 1/2 million gallons of crude on board. <br />My deepest thoughts and condolences go out to the families of these very brave people
40.gif
<br /><br />AK Chappy

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

CNN) -- A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter crashed Wednesday off Alaska's Aleutian Islands while attempting to rescue crew members from a derelict Malaysian-flagged cargo ship, dumping 10 people into the frigid waters of the northern Pacific Ocean, a Coast Guard spokesman said.<br /><br />According to Cmdr. Jeff Carter, an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter had already evacuated 18 of the 26-member crew from the Selendang Ayu when it went down near Unalaska Island.<br /><br />"Another helicopter (HH-65 Dolphin) from the Coast Guard cutter Alex Haley, which is on scene, picked up four people and have taken them to Dutch Harbor for medical treatment, their condition is unknown," a Coast Guard statement said. "Six people are still unaccounted for."<br /><br />It's believed four of the people on board the helicopter that crashed were Coast Guard rescuers.<br /><br />Conditions in the area are turbulent with 35-knot winds and 5-foot seas with swells to 20 feet, according to Carter.<br /><br />The 738 foot-long Selendang Ayu, carrying soybeans, lost power to its main engine Tuesday and has since broken in two, near fertile fisheries and a sea lion habitat. The ship has 500,000 gallons of fuel on board and authorities are concerned about a possible spill.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My cousin (the one who's dad was killed in the plane crash) was supposed to go with his coast guard outfit to Alaska. I wonder if it is the same outfit?<br /><br />My cousin was granted a 45 day stint in the San Antonio recruting office so he could be with his family for the holidays (they will be rough).<br /><br />Also, the day of my uncles funeral, there house flooded with 4 feet of water in it. We helped clean it up a couple of days later. Luckily all of the important things were moved to high ground.<br /><br />Ken

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Ken,<br />Thanks for the clarification on the fuel. Right amount, wrong type of ship.<br /><br />The Coast Guard outfit was based in Kodiak, AK.<br /><br />AK Chappy

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Another update,<br />All three of the Coast Guard crewmembers were among the people rescued.<br /><br />The six missing were from the ship.<br /><br />AK Chappy