Clutch Slipping?

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My motor is starting to clunk at high speed. Just once every now and then, jars the boat like I hit a log or something. I suspect the clutch dog is slipping but I haven't found any metal in the gear lube. I adjusted the shift cable to pull the shift linkage as far forward as possible, no help. Is there any other adjustment that I can try before I open up the gearbox?<br /><br />1987 Johnson 110hp.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Clutch Slipping?

Capt.... Sounds like you could use the following info.<br /><br />(Jumping Out Of Gear - Manual Type)<br /> <br />This pertains to lower units on all OMC manual shift outboard engines, or any OMC engine with lower units defined as a Shift Assist or a Hydro Electric Shift unit which incorporates a "Shifter Clutch Dog".<br /> <br />Within the lower unit, splined to the prop shaft is what is most often referred to as a clutch dog, hereafter simply called dog. The dog has at least two lobes protruding from it on both ends, facing both forward and reverse gear. The forward and reverse gears also have lobes built into them near their center area. When the engine is running, in neutral, the gears are spinning constantly via the driveshaft being connected directly to the powerhead crankshaft, but the propeller does not turn due to the fact that the dog is centered between the two gears, and the dog lobes are not touching either of the gear lobes.<br /> <br />When the unit is put into either gear, shift linkages force the dog (and its lobes of course) to engage the lobes of the the gear. The lobes of the spinning gear grab the lobes of the dog, and since the dog is splined to the prop shaft, the propeller turns.<br /><br />The lobes of the dog and gears are percisely machined, most with right angled edges that could be installed in either direction, and some with angles slightly varied that must be installed in one direction only (one end only must face the propeller). Dogs that can be installed in one direction only, if reversed, even if the dog and both gears were new.... would jump out of gear almost immediately. Keep in mind that the lobes are percisely machined with sharp angles!<br /> <br />Due to improper adjustment or worn shift linkages, but usually due to improper slow shifting, those percisely machined sharp edges of the lobes become slightly rounded. Now, with those lobes rounded, as the rpms increase, the pressure of the gear lobes upon the dog lobes increases to a point whereas they are forced apart (jumping out of gear), and due (usually) to the shift cable keeping tension on the engines shift linkages..... the unit is forced back into gear giving one the sensation that the engine has hit something, and the cycle continues.<br /> <br />Some boaters have the mistaken belief that shifting slowly is taking it easy on all of the shifting components..... Wrong! Shifting slowly allows those percisely machined sharp edges of the dog and gears to click, clank, bang, slam against each other many times before they are finally forced into alignment with each other..... and this is what rounds those edges off! The proper way to shift is to snap the unit into gear as quickly as possible.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Joe, that sounds like the problem, but how to fix it? I'm starting to accept the fact no amount of adjustment will put the sharp edges back on the lobes. Can I turn the dog around so that the rounded edges mesh with the reverse gear (I rarely run over 3000 RPM in reverse)? :D <br /><br />Can I just replace the dog ($62.78) :( or is the forward gear toast as well ($331.15) :mad: ?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Only careful inspection can answer your question.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Capt.... The shifter dog IS NOT reversible. And as WildeOne has stated, only careful inspection can answer those questions.<br /><br />My advice.... If you have any intentions of keeping that engine for a year or two, don't attempt to cut corners. Do the job correctly or you'll be doing it again quite soon.<br /><br />Even though the forward gear teeth might be perfect, it's the engagement lobes that determinbe the quality of the item. If those lobe edges are worn, replace the gear.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finished taking this beast apart today and the lobes are indeed rounded on the dog and the forward gear. In fact the gear looks to have gotten the worst of it. Still no shavings found but the lobe edges look like they were beaten round, not shaved off. The lobes appear to have been machined at an angle slightly less than 90 degrees so they have (or had) a slight dove tail to them. That feature has been beaten out on all of the forward driving faces.<br /><br />I'm ordering up a complete new gear set and seal kit. This job has been no fun at all so far and I don't ever want to have to do it again. I've worked on smaller gearboxes before and they were no big deal but this is another animal entirely.

D

DJ

Captain,<br /><br />For the future. You do know to shift those quick? Do not "ease" them into gear. That's what causes alot of the wear.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's the trick to getting the pinion gear back in? The manual says to put the prop shaft assembly in then install the pinion gear but it won't go past the dog, not enough clearance. I tried every angle, tried sliding it in with the prop shaft, tried putting the pinion in first, no luck. I'm out of ideas. :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Capt.... Have gearcase upside down. Shift unit into forward gear. Slide pinion into place. The fun part is getting the nut started back on the driveshaft. Don't forget to torque that nut to 70 to 75 foot pounds.

AndrewB

Seaman Apprentice

CaptainPuget,<br />Sounds like youve nearly fixed your problem, I have what sounds like a simmilar problem to yours but a lower/idle speed as apposed to high speed, the worst thing is the horrible clunking sound. Just out of interest, what kind of cost was the gear and seal kit as i think Ive now found myself a winter project. And was it a really bad job or just moderatly bad?

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Joe. It slipped right in that way, with a little prop shaft wiggling. And the drive shaft nut wasn't too bad with the help of a long pair of needle nose pliers to hold the nut and a partner to turn the shaft. Thanks for all your advice. <br /><br />Andrew:<br />Looking back on the job it doesn't seem that bad but I wasn't to happy when I busted my puller trying to get the bearing housing out or when I was searching the town for a big ass pair of snap ring pliers. Like a lot of jobs, it will probably be pretty easy the second time one does it. It would help to have small hands with 13-inch long fingers.<br /><br />The gear set (forward, pinion, reverse and clutch) lists for $442.61, the seal kit $57.98. If you just need the clutch it lists for $81.75. I don't know about Australia but I can usually find parts around here for about 10% - 20% off the list price if I shop around.

AndrewB

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Capt, it just so happens that I don't have small hands with 13 inch fingures, but i recon ill give it a crack anyway. Thanks again.