Clutch Dog??

jcorrigan

Cadet
So as stated in another thread, I took the boat out this weekend for it's second journey and discovered while giving her a bit more gas than the last excursion (getting gutsy) that above certain speed the boat stops moving forward but the enging revs higher!

Searching through the posts (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=104790) revealed that this may be the Clutch Dog? With the motor being a 64 Evinrude Speeditwin (again, gleaned from the posts here) I don't doubt that some of the parts are starting to show their age.

My question is am I on the right track? Should I check the shear pin first? Will the prop turn at all if the shear pin is gone?

Guess I should add "As a first time boat owner am I WAY outta my league here and should just take the boat to a marine mechanic?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Clutch Dog??

Sounds like a spun prop as opposed to a bad clutch dog, typically they pop out or in and out of gear while under way. If the shear pin (think its a drive pin) were sheared the prop would freewheel on the shaft. Pull the nose cone off and check the shear pin, 2 second job, you'll probably find it intact.

Read this article, I believe the props are similar for the 2 motors.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=99678

Simple check as far as I know- pull the plug wires, shift it in gear and rotate the prop, if the flywheel doesn't turn the prop is the issue.

Or I could be totally off base but I'm pretty sure those props have a pressed hub.

jcorrigan

Cadet

Thanks B...I'm gonna check that out tonight. Further reading up on the subject shows that I should have two props anyways (I hate missing a good day of fishing).

Should I just take the prop off and take it with me to a prop shop to get a new one..and leave that one to be repaired? Is there anything else they'll want to know about the motor to sell me a new prop?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Check it out to determine and if the bushing has let go they can fix it, don't know about a new prop for the year motor, probably a refurb prop but ya you should be able to get one.

Another source might be AOMCI.ORG, i've had awesome luck finding parts for old motors by posting a want ad in the Webvertize portion of the site.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A prop cutaway view. The rubber cushion is bonded to the brass hub, then the assembly is pressed into the propeller. If the bond between the rubber and brass hub gives way, then the brass spins in the rubber. Result is slipping under load.

Attachments

• Prop Cutaway.jpg
    Prop Cutaway.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0

jcorrigan

Cadet

Thanks for the photo...now I'm a little better equipped...

Found a good prop shop here in town, a couple friends of mine recommend their work. If it turns out to be spun I'll be taking it there tomorrow to have it repaired AND get a new/refurb one.

So while I'm making a shopping list, anyone have anything to add?

1) 2nd Prop
2) Spare shear pins

bktheking

Vice Admiral

LOL all for the greater good of boat motor education, love it.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, and I busted my bandsaw blade doing it. Ar-r-r-r-g-g-h.
well worth it ,you can get bandsaw blades anywheres but were do you get a nice cutaway like that ?here! of course,lol.

jcorrigan

Cadet

So quick update for you all...went to a place in town here and the guy told me he doesn't fix the spun props anymore (especially older ones) because he's had too many of them 'blow out' which totals the prop and makes nobody happy.

Anyone else heard of this?

Also, picked up a refurb prop for $56...yay!

jcorrigan

Cadet

So I just wanted to report back that a spun prop WAS the culprit and thanks to all for your assistance. I would have had a much tougher time of it without you!

I put the refurb prop on this weekend (after wiring my trailer with help from OTHER posts on this site) and took her out on the gan river again to test it! Worked like a charm! I believe I even got the crap blown out of the carb as well...it kept sounding like I was hitting bottom or something (I knew I was in 10+ feet of water) and suddenly after about 10-15 min she must've belched out something HUGE cause she almost came out of the water (didn't 'lock' the motor..note to self). After that ...purred like a kitten in a creamery!

lindy46

Captain

Hmm - if it seems to be jumping out of gear, or feels like you're hitting something, you MAY also have a bad clutch dog, or linkage out of adjustment. If it keeps doing that, then time to drop the lower unit, and/or check play in the upper shift rod.

jcorrigan

Cadet

Hmm - if it seems to be jumping out of gear, or feels like you're hitting something, you MAY also have a bad clutch dog, or linkage out of adjustment. If it keeps doing that, then time to drop the lower unit, and/or check play in the upper shift rod.

Thanks for the suggestion...but she seems ok for now! If it starts happening again I'll take her in for an inspection.

Took her out again last night...it was so nice out I couldn't resist. And out in the BIG water this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HHTZuRsSY