clutch dog?

piper638

Cadet
I had the complete set of gears swapped from a 200 johnson 2001 into a new gear case purchased from the dealer.Everything seemed fine but after a few times out I felt a funny bump like I hit something in the water.It has happened a few more times so it's not something in the water.Someone told me that it's the clutch dog and soon the lower unit will be wiped out .Is this right .I hope someone can help with this problem.Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: clutch dog?

A bump in the water like your hitting a log usually means the clutch dog lobes and likely the lobes on the forward gear are worn over to the point they slip in and out of gear usually when you try to go to WOT. But....a question here...did you set the shift rod to the correct height in neutral and then readjust the shift cable when you connected it back up?<br /><br />If the shift rod is set to low, it may not be going all the way into forward....just enough to move the boat.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

You can usually reverse the gear. If it is rounded on one side flip it over to the more squred side. If this is the problem they are about $50 for a new one.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Is that the same prop you had before this new gearcase? Just wondered if it has been checked.

piper638

Cadet

same prop as before....measured shift rod height after removal of lower unit then again before re instalation.ONly bumps sporatically .Guess i'll just use it and have my tow insurance paid up!