Clutch Dog on 69 Johnson 25hp Seahorse

degola

Cadet
I'm working on the gearcase on my 69 Johnson 25 hp Seahorse. It's been jumping out of forward gear and I have "stretched" the spring that runs through the gearshaft hoping it will keep the clutch dog forward and not let it slide out of gear. My problem is, I took the dog off the shaft and can't remember which end faces forward.<br />There is a factory "mark" on the side at one end. Which way should that mark face??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Clutch Dog on 69 Johnson 25hp Seahorse

A lot of OMC clutch dogs are reversible and some fwd/reverse gears can be swapped. Popping out of gear is a sign of a worn dog and/or gear. Caused by 'gentle' shifting.

degola

Cadet
Re: Clutch Dog on 69 Johnson 25hp Seahorse

Thanks Wilde,<br />Way back I had this problem and the mechanic I took it to said the dog had been installed backwards and had "nicked" up the end of the forward gear. I couldn't afford a new gear set at the time and he supposedly touched up the gear with a die grinder. Anyway, this worked fine for a couple of years. I looked at the dog and the forward gear and neither one of them looks all that bad. I might try switching the f/r gears like you mentioned and being sure the "good" end of the dog is meshing with forward gear. Of course, I'll be sure the f/r gears are identical before I do this.<br />Jerry