Clinton J9 1000

HarryHydro

Cadet
Hi!<br /> I just bought this small outboard. It wasn't seized, so I pulled the plug, clean, sprayed in some PB anyway, fixed the recoil, put a paper clip for a spring on one of the recoil latches (do springs belong on the two latches?), rigged up some hose for fuel, put a oil-rich mix in a glass, primed it, and it started and ran fine! <br /> I put this motor deep in water. I seen some posts noting water cools some exhaust parts. I see some holes below the 'cavitation plate' and five holes on each side, further up the lower end. Do the upper holes need to be submerged? It seems the exhaust blows at least from one side. Also, is there a water pump? <br /> Now a carburator question: There is a low speed mixture adjustment that seems to do nothing. Also, it won't run with the choke open all the way. It looks like the mixture screw on the end of this control doesn't penetrate the jet/orifice, if that's what it suppose to do. <br /> Sorry for the questions. I haven't gotten a manual with this engine. (I just got today!)<br />Thanks!<br />Harry