Clicking noise when I try to Start

Wallup

Cadet
I have a 1990 Merc 350 Magnum -- I've had a problem with the engine starting, I will turn the key and I hear a click in the engine compartment. Everytime I turn the key one click. Eventually the motor does engage and will usually run good for most of the day but somtimes it will do the same thing when I try to crank her up on the water. I have repaced the ignition swith and the starter $$, but I continue to have this problem. Any suggestions on what I need to check out? Thanks in advance!

fastimz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Clicking noise when I try to Start

I had a similar problem and I replaced the started and continued to have this problem. I found ou that I either had a bad gound wire or primary wire b/c I changed both and the problem went away.

Wallup

Cadet

So basiclly just replacing the battery cables did a fix? Great, thanks for your help.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There is another seloniod on the front of the motor that may need replacing.Get someone in the engine compartment when you are hearing the click so they can see where it is coming from.Charlie

Wallup

Cadet

Hey Crazy, Where on the front of the motor, near the reset button? The clicking sounds like it is coming from where I put the new starter on. On another note I now have about a centimeter gap into the flywheel where I have installed the new starter. Something to worry about? It looks like the starter just didn't extend out as far as the old one, but I'm positive it is the right starter. Thanks!

Ralph 123

Captain

I just had that exact problem happen to me as well. The starter wire became lose on the ignition switch. When you put the wires on the new ignition switch how did they look? Were the terminals clean and tight on the wires? Are the terminals tight on the switch? Trace the wires back to the engine compartment and check the connections there as well.

Wallup

Cadet

thanks for the input I'll check it out.

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assume you have a starter with the solenoid on it. If so the click is probably the solenoid, you can have someone turn the key while you listen. If so get a test light and see if you have current flow from the strap at the bottom of the solenoid to the starter at the starter when the key is turned and you hear the click. If not you have a bad connection where the strap hooks to the solenoid or a bad solenoid, you can check this by putting the test light on the solenoid terminal where the strap hooks on. If you have current to the starter but it dosn't turn, the brushes are probably hung up (unlikely on a new starter but possible) The most likely thing is the screw that holds the strap to the solenoid is loose.