Clearly getting water into #2 Cylinder, Replacing head gaskets but what else??

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
1970 Evinrude 115...AGAIN<br /> Had some probs with overheatin the last time out(NEVER died on it's own because of heat) When bringing throttle up installed pisser would loose pressure. let cool.. Idled back to dock not overheating it (per hot lamp and pisser) Took a look at LU and found Impellor only had 2 blades left. Others were still inside pump housing. Replaced... Started up. Had white smoke... Pulled plugs, water on #2 Cylinder plug. Found this and didn't do COMP test. Instead ordered me a set of head gaskets. (figuring most common and cheap enough to replace since history of motor is unknown) Plan on giving it head job on Thursday :)-0 Besides the head gaskets what gaskets can go out on these 2 cycles to cause water in the cylinder??<br /><br />On a good note... when puttin the LU back on found I only had a bad Nuetral connection and not a bad seleniod =-)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Clearly getting water into #2 Cylinder, Replacing head gaskets but what else

Re: Clearly getting water into #2 Cylinder, Replacing head gaskets but what else

unless its aa salt water motor usually not much else. however carefully clean the head and block, then use a good straight edge and a feeler gauge and make sure the head is not warped. about .002" is the tolerance. and I always coat my gaskets with perfect seal or BRP gasket maker. DO NOT use silicone under any circumstance.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I knew these composite gaskets can't use silicone. In auto's I usually never put anything on um.. just clean up the matin surfaces real good. <br /><br />It is a fresh water motor and bein I'm in the middle of nowhere I can't see ever bein in it. <br /><br />I'll be interested to see what my COMP reads after the head gaskets. Prior to this mishap they were 1-110 2-110 3-107 4-105. wonderin if they'll bring it up any although they were pretty damn good were they were.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ill agree the numbers look good. hope they are again. <br /> my experience with the new gaskets with the heat activated sealer is not stellar. thats why I coat them with perfect seal

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

So I pulled the heads today... and most definatly there is a breach (warped/hole in gasket) on #2 I also noticed that on #4 there wasn't a breach but it did look as though it could not have been sealing like it should. There was a bit of burnt pre-mix stained on the gasket below the sealing mark. <br /><br />Now I'm really interested in how the comp will check out. Pistons, and cylinder walls look great with no scoring at all. <br /><br />One question.. In autos they reccomend soaking the bolts in oil before replacing... is it the same for outboards???

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

A coating of antisieze before installing the bolts should do it. Torque to a third of the value, then two thirds and finally full torque, in order.<br /><br />fp

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Replace the deflectors in the water passages before you put the heads back on.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Replaced head gaskets today.... let it warn up and then retorqued.... Pulled my compression with same gauge as before and conditions as well(warm motor, full throttle)... and I found that they were straight across the board right at 115. So it looks like I gained about 5 on 1-3 and brought #4 in line with the others. Even pulled them from a gauge I questioned.. and got same results.<br /><br />Looks like I'm going to have to do a few adjustments on idle and such... Before I could pull back on on the throttle and it would die... tried it tonight... and it kept runnin... So I'll have to go to usin the key to turn her off...the way it's suppose to be...lol