Cleaning Pontoons

cmclark

Cadet
Hello all,

I have an older pontoon that sat in the slip for a couple of years. The pontoons have quite a bit of this gritty, scaly looking stuff on them. There is a lot of limestone around here.

So what would be the best method to properly clean this stuff off. My pressure washer only removes the loose grit. I would like to see some nice shiny and clean pontoons.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cleaning Pontoons

it is lime deposits, and oxidation, one of the lime cleaners, a 3m scouring pad, and elbow grease.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Rolite is a product that is used to put a mirror shine on aluminum. Its a two or three step process, the stuff is not cheap, and requires a polisher, lots of time, and patience. What you use and the technique you use depends on the level of shine you want.

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a 1974 aluminum boat I purchased last year and the bottom was as dirty and brown as you can get. On the recommendation of a local boat yard I bought a product call Toon Brite. It is used to clean the pontoons on pontoon boats. I simply sprayed it on and let it sit for 15 minutes and then power washed it off. The hull looked like it just came from the factory. I have forgotten what I paid for it but it was not expensive. I got it at Boaters World.

Neverhome