Cleaning Mercruiser Engine...."How to" information needed..

Dave S3948

Cadet
I want to clean my engine and the bilge area. It's not too dirty or oily so I plan only to use some mild cleaner like Simple Green and wipe or scrub down a few places and then hose the engine off. Is there anything on a 5.0 MPI engine that shouldn't be hosed off or that I need to pay special attention to? Any other pointers would also be appreciated.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Cleaning Mercruiser Engine...."How to" information needed..

Generally speaking any engine can be totally degreased with a few basic precautions. You don't want cleaner/water down the throttle body so either avoid the air intake area or cover it with a plastic bag. Throttle linkages like a lubrication after cleaning - keeps everything smooth. Electrical connections are always the most effected by cleaning, you could avoid them, cover them or check/clean them after you have finished cleaning.... I prefer the latter, good opportunity to become familiar with all those connections. Most pulley bearing are the sealed type but water can & does still get in, its a good idea to check that they are not rumbly. Spark plug wire connections will need drying.<br /><br />Aldo

KaGee

Admiral

Hi Dave, <br /><br />I found Simple Green a very effective product to clean the bilge area.

tommays

Admiral

from my experance you can get good results from some some type of cleaner and a big azz role of paper towels<br /><br />if you turn lose a hose you going to get 5% CLEANER AND HAVE 1000% more chance of getting water somewere it is not ment to be a make a big headacke for yourself<br /><br />tommays

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Just use a spray engine cleaner, let it drain into the bilge, and wash the bilge out with a hose. This gets rid of all the oil residue, then you can clean the bilge again with soap. I would not spray water on the engine.