Cleaning manifolds

diamonddave

Seaman
Just a thought, I still have steam coming from the exhaust on my port engine ( 1976 Pacemaker T318's, 1 manifold replaced by previous owner last year, engine does not overheat except at around 3500 - 4000 rpm). Anyway, I'm getting ready to winterize and was wondering what would happen if I circulated CLR(a caustic liquid cleaner) through the engine, in an attempt to remove build-up from inside manifolds, etc, then carried on with normal winterizing procedures.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cleaning manifolds

I don't think the exhaust is blocked, you mention only one manifold was replaced, If one was bad then the other cannot be that good either, Your heating at 3500 4000 rpm inticates that a riser or riser gasket at the least is suspect, You have boat that is about 28 yrs old, that a good long service life for manifolds and risers even for a fresh water boat. I see your from Hamilton, is that Hamilton Ontario..I'm in Oakville.

diamonddave

Seaman

Hamilton, ON it is. We keep the boat at Harbour West. Have been to Oakville on a number of occasions over the last couple of years, stayed at the club past the bridge. Really like Oakville. Hate to think I've got to start tearing down the manifolds. Risers, how do they block flow? I am not looking forward to this.<br />Regards<br />David

Northern Eclipse

I was in Hamilton with the boat a couple of weeks ago,just for a ride, anyway the riser and manifold are cast iron, over the years the rust builds up and flakes off thus blocking the risers, or if the boat sits for extended periods with being run while sitting in the water it is possible to get a zebra mussel or two, I found this out with my Wellcraft, the previous owner had a cottage on Pigion lake, loaded full of zebra's I have to have the drive removed and cleaned out zebra mussels right up the intake, I also pulled the manifolds and risers, and I found zebra mussel shells in the manifolds, This meant for sure boat had low hours, because if it started and run often, the larves get cleaned out...When do pull out for winter? I'll be in storage come thanksgiving.

diamonddave

Seaman

Haul out is Oct 23, figure we might get a nice day or two between now and then. Only problem is that I usually freeze my A** off while winterizing. Can't believe summer is over especially since it only started sometime around mid July. Not the best boating season huh? Wellcraft makes a really nice boat, a buddy of mine want's to give me a 27' Wellcraft cheap but I think it might be too far gone, no interior and motor is in pieces, trailer is OK I guess. If I don't do anything about the steam do you know of any long term ill-effects. As you can probably tell I am not looking forward to this job.<br /><br />Regards

Northern Eclipse

Yea I hear ya about the short season, but I still managed to get about 40hrs on the meter this year, anyway if the manifolds and risers are leaking ( steam being good clue) it is possible that cooling water can make its way into the exhaust side and down into a cylinder, that can trash the motor ( hydrolock). Look at this way you can always shop for a new manifold and riser on eBay.com (not much on ebay.ca) I bought all the parts I needed to install a thru hull exhaust on the Wellcraft, I got all brand new stuff I saved hundreds of dollers (about 600) from what I would have paid here.. Come January Feburary you can find decent deals for marine goodies,But before you drop any more loonies the first thing I would do is pull the spark plugs and inspect them, If any of them are totally clean or have a white residue on them, that could mean water is entering to cyclinder, since the plugs would be out this is a good time to do a compression test,because another cause to steam from the exhaust can be from a bad head gasket or a cracked head, I know you don't want to hear this, but its alot cheaper to fix now, rather than risk the motor, plus it will always break at the worst time.