Cleaning garage--- do I have anything good?

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I havent posted in a while because Ive been enjoying my boat, not fixing it!<br />Anyway, Im cleaning out the garage, and im wondering if there is anything worthwhile in my piles of parts. Basically, I have a 1974 85 hp Johnson, with retrofitted tilt and trim from a '78 that I have on my boat. <br />Heres teh stuff I have lying around:<br />I have a complete powerhead off a 70's 140 hp v4 thats locked up. I am obviously keeping the electrical, etc as it is the same as my running engine, but is there anything else I should put on my good engine before I trash the rest? Would the bubble back exhaust help any? Anything else on there?<br /><br />I also have a 1969 100 hp complete motor that I plan to dump, I assume there isnt anything that i would want off this engine, right? I believe this is electric shift, so the LU doesnt fit my 74.<br /><br />By the way, if there is anything that anyone needs off this engine, I would be happy to give it to you.<br /><br />My second question is if there is anything else I can do (low-buck) to boost performance on my '74 85 hp. I have some basic machining skills. Thanks in advance.

cnixon

Cadet
Re: Cleaning garage--- do I have anything good?

I need that electric shift lower unit if you think its any good?

G DANE

Commander

Yes, I think the carbs, bubbleback and everything thats in it will boost performance, as exhaust tuning is as important as intake. I just dont know if it will bolt right on.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I'm trying to thing if I might need anything off that 100.... the hole thing...lol <br /><br />If I can thing of something I will let you know!!

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That 140 powerhead looks to be identical to my engine, I think Ill try that bubble back on it. I dont have the carbs for it. anything else? is the intake better, other than the carbs? ie the reeds or something?<br /><br />about that 69 100 hp, you pay shipping, and Ill send you what ever you want. If the lower unit is easy to test, I can do that too. let me know.

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

hey<br />i have been going broke getting stuff for <br />my 68 100 hp so put me on the list (for the 69 100 hp)i think<br />two others ask about a few parts so i will<br />just take my place in line but i can definatly<br />use some of it am on my way out the door to <br />work i will check post again tonight<br /><br /><br />thank you

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, guys anybody have specific requests for 69 100 hp parts? email me at vegard@hamso.com

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually the scrap motor is a 125 from 71, not a '69 100 hp. model num: 125esl71C<br />last call for any parts before it goes to the dump.

fast_c_class

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the intake on the 140 may have rubber stuffers in it behind the reed blocks. you could try them out on your 85. <br /><br />also the 140 heads are different and worth something to someone. <br /><br />some of the intakes are different but i couldnt tell you what hp's had what.<br /><br />as for mods on the 85 hp, im not sure how those smaller bore motors behave with mods but if you like to play around, a set of plastic reeds should help midrange response. maybe try some 1-3/16 carbs on it ( i think 85 hp's had 1"?) for more top end power.