Cleaning electical connections.

EvinFla

Seaman
I'm currently cleaning all of my electrical connections to cure an intermittant starting problem. Is there a proper way to clean the connections? Also could the solenoid be a possible source of the intermittant starting? Is it a part that slowly deteriorates, or does it just stop working? <br /><br />Thanks

rwise

Captain
Re: Cleaning electical connections.

If your starting problem is not turning over from time to time, click when you turn the key (or push button) it could be the solinoid. The wire can breack the goes to the post on the inside. If it turns over and does not statr the solinoid is ok.

M Kanak

Cadet
Re: Cleaning electical connections.

Just an observation but solenoids are cheap, and if you want Ford solenoids are 1/3 the price.( Works on mine)<br /> Just this week I had an intermittant cranking problem on my 85 hp Evinrude. After checking every connection and swapping to a known to be good battery the problem turned out to be the screws that ground the brushes and mount the Bakelite brush holder in the starter end-cap. They looked great until I took them off; corroded under-neath. One intermittant starting problem solved, price zero. There is a great trouble shooting procedure in FAQ. Good luck.<br /> Mike. :)