Cleaning carbs.?? What carb Kit ???

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've given up on my backordered manual and asked amazon to send me one instead. But while reading through the posts here i see a few references to only use OEM carb kits....what i have on the way to me is serria carb kits will i be okay or should i use OEM?? my motor is a '91 70hp Rude...Thanks in advance<br /> :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cleaning carbs.?? What carb Kit ???

Sierra kits will be fine. I've used them from time to time and encountered no problems.

Laddies

Banned

Sierra kits work well for me and have for about 15 years never had a bad inlet needle or any other complaints OMC kits do have some parts that are not in Sierra kits, but for the most part are needed in the average repair

phatmanmike

Captain

i always try to get whichever kit has the needle with the steel tip, and not the rubber tip. i feel they dont stick as much or easily.<br /><br />mike

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how would i know if the kit is rubber or steel...and do i need to replace needle...motor is only three years old...i think i have crud in one of the carbs..runs fine topend but idle is the issue idles fine until put in gear the dies unless i get on it then back it down...might have been able to get away gaskets i guess...but btter safe than sorry..

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I prefer the OE kits because they are more complete although the Sierra kits are generally OK. Consistancy has been an issue with them in the past. We used to use nothing but Aqua Power kits but AP is gone now. <br /><br />The smart move at this point would be to soak the carbs and get the kits. Might save a piston or two.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there anywhere online to buy OE kits.??? or should i call a dealer and have them shipped.. I want to do this right the first time....and is there any perfered soaking agent or just normal automotive carbs cleaner..

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i've returned the serria kits and purchased BRP kits...just waiting for UPS to deliver the manual to start this project...wish me luck...

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay i have the manual and the BRP kits...now in reading through the steps needed.... I have a few ?'s...first the tools an stuff needed...are they really needed or is there another alernative.. i.e. homemade equivalents<br /><br />1. OMC Float Guage for 25HP to 75 HP<br />2. OMC Piston Stop tool<br /><br />and one more ? should i make this another post that is more appropriate

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well here i go i'm going to make another post with the tool ?'s i think that is the correct thing to do.