Cleaning Bottom

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last December I purchased a 21' Dolphin Products boat with a 175 hp Evinrude. I later found out that the boat had obviously been sunk in saltwater, and had been cleaned up where visible pretty well but the non visible areas were a mess. <br />I've refurbed the motor, trailer, and the interior of the boat and now need to clean the bottom. The previous owner had scraped most of the barnacles off the bottom, but there is a lot of thin residue that has hardened. I can scrape it off with a putty knife but that's a long tedious task with the risk of damageing the bottom. I've been told that the fiberglass bottom can be sanded with "medium" grade sandpaper, but I'm not sure if that is correct, or if it is what grade of sandpaper to use.<br />Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the bottom of this boat. <br />I'm getting close to the maiden (for me)voyage, but I would like to clean the bottom before I put the boat in the water.<br />Thanks,<br />Bill.........

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cleaning Bottom

Instead of sandpaper, which you could use, I would use a buffer pad and some rubbing or polishing compound. Rubbing would be more aggressive. Kinda like sanding and waxing put together. If you do use sandpaper, probably no less than 1200 grit to keep a nice shine. Then you would probably need to buff afterwards. Good Luck, let us know what you decide, and what works. :D

mtp

Cadet

If you think the residue is left over barnacles (Calcium carbonate) you can dissolve a lot of it with products like:<br />Lime away, "Kick Acid", tile/grout cleaners, Snowbowl, etc. Be warned these are acids and can burn eyes/skin. Try them on a small spot. Wear safety glasses rinse the hull well after, sometimes it takes a plastic chore boy (pot scrubber) and elbow grease to get the heavy stuff off. :)

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I'll keep you posted. I'll have more questions I'm sure when I start on it. I still have to remove some rust from the trailer and repair one area where the rust was excessive and then I'll start on the bottom.<br />Bill......

I have just tried a product by Boat Armour called Bottom Boat Cleaner and it did a great job. I am in Canada . My boat sits alt the lake for two month in fresh water. It gets a hard scum on it. I tried to get it off with spray nine. It never touched it. I will admit that i don't have the barnacles you were talking about.This stuff is an acid. One roll of a paint roller with this product is amazing.It made my hull white!!<br />If you can find some try it.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple other great clening products are: FSR made by Davis and ON & Off by Mary Kate.<br />****