cleaning boat bottom

brogsie

Cadet
I have an Avon hypalon that I had on a salt water mooring for the summer.
When I pulled it out it was loaded w/barnicles. I scraped them off while they where still wet. Most came off with a plastic scraper and stiff brush. There is still remaining a thin coat of shell that I can't get off. Has anyone used a product that will remove the residue ans is safe on hypalon? Does the anti fowling bottom paint work?

Someone told me that the navy is researching the chemical that sticks the barnicle to the boat. They hope to be able to make underwater repairs with it if they can figure it out.

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: cleaning boat bottom

I have good luck doing the following:

1. rinse the boat with LOTS OF freshwater.
2. let the boat and all the crusties dry for al least a week (Easier to remove when their dead!)
3. scrub the boat with product named "4U" diluted 50/50 with water http://www.4uproducts.com/
4. apply plenty of elbow grease!

it is not fun, but it works.

brogsie

Cadet

Thanks Rocket
I'll give it a try. Have you used the bottom paint? Does it work?

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is bottom paint specifically for inflatables. Search for "Pettit Inflatable Boat Antifouling Paint" I use another Pettit bottom paint on my big boat and I have been very happy with it after 3 years in the water 24/7 it is working great. I'll repaint early this Spring. I don't use it on my inflatable because my dinghy doesn't spend more than 3 weeks in the water at a time.
I have friends who use it and it does work. But my understanding is that you can never remove it once you put it on. You will be bottom painting that dink for the rest of its life. Someone correct me if I an wrong

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No experience with saltwater filth but MEK has took everything off of the 10 year old Achilles I bought last year. Aurora Speed Clean worked well for 90% of the gunk and their polyguard seems to keep it off well enough, and it keeps the material nice and shiny. MEK is truly a nasty chemical but works. Just don't get any on the seams as it will dissolve the adhesive!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Traffic Film Remover-or TFR. Make sure you dilute it as instructed and wash it off properly. Wear gloves and goggles-it's a strong acid.