cleaner for smooth top stoves???

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Finally got my new stove which came with a tiny bottle of smooth top cleaner.It sure does not last very long.Anyone know what is in the stuff??I was thinking it may be the soft scrub recommended for fiberglass and plastic bathtubs but wanted to see if anyone knows what it is or a substitute.Charlie

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: cleaner for smooth top stoves???

Very similar to soft scrub, w/ bleach. We have used soft scrub on avery damp cloth, when top is cool. Works great. The bottle you got w/ it has a polishing agent in it as well. Clean the mess off w/ soft scrub, then finish with the other. <br />They are real nice units, be careful with pans etc that are not flat on the bottom, and be sure there are no scratch makers stuck to them.

LadyFish

Admiral

It's not easy to find in the grocery stores, but its there. Use Easy-off ceramic surface cleaner for smooth cooktops if you can't find the kind it came with. I am afraid to try the softscrub since I did't think it was as mild an abrasive as the cook top cleaner.<br /><br />Mine also warned of using anything with achohol in it. So keep the windex away. If you get some really hard crusties that won't come off with the cleaner, you can scrape them away with the ege of a razor blade.<br /><br />Still beats the heck outta removing heating elements and drip pans. :)

gaugeguy

Captain

I actually think when we got ours they warned us not to use soft-scrub because it would scratch the glass top. I never clean it, so I don't know what the wifey uses, but I will find out tonight by feigning interest ;) <br /><br />BTW, the reason I don't clean it is because she won't let me, afraid I will wreck it.

KaGee

Admiral

Lowes and Home Depot both carry similar products.<br />You only have to use it once and a while.<br /><br />Abide by your MFG's recommendations. Those tops are extremely expensive to replace.<br /><br />Wifey is extremely in love with hers.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There certainly does seem to many more things to be aware of with this new cooktop.So far no stains or crusties.My bride is fearful of dropping a pot on it so she has not been cooking up a storm and all but tupperware has been removed from the cabinet above it..Sure does beat changing and cleaning those drip pans.Since it was new to the house, my cat thought she would have a look.Good thing the top was cool.Charlie

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I had some cat once, it tastes like chicken :D :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I regret putting one in my house!! that crap they tell you to buy doesn't work worth a hoot!!<br /><br />like LF states I have resorted to just plain ole razor blades but use scouring powder/comet. <br /><br />I've never had such a problem keeping the damn stove clean in my entire life - nothing beats cooking over gas burners anyways.<br /><br />my lesson learned!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Abide by your MFG's recommendations. Those tops are extremely expensive to replace.<br />
it's going to be more expensive for the salesman to have it removed from his arse!!<br /><br /> ;)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I use Cerama-brite from Home Depot or Lowes. Works great and polishes up real pretty-like.<br /><br />
acc011867.jpg

FSHKPR

Ensign

wow barlow your the first person i ever heard of that did not like thiers. personally i would never buy another stove with out it. i have a habit of trying to multitask alot, there for pots boil over on the stove quite a bit. sure is alot easier to clean up. outs has a fairly high lip around it, so everything usually stays right on top. razor blade seems to work the best for that burnt on crusty stuff. then finish up with the ceramabright.

Stratosfied

Ensign

We have a Kenmore flat top and it came with a small bottle of "Cook Top Brand Cleaning Creme for Smooth Top Ranges". It works great. And seems to put a protective coating on the surface. I bought a larger bottle at the local Sears. It works great and that is what they recommended.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Quote:<br /><br />"Abide by your MFG's recommondations, those tops are exspensive to replace" <br /><br />KaGee, it's really not all that bad. When I accidently stood on ours while painting (I swear, I just rested my toe on it!)it only cost $560.00!!!!!!!! Talk about impressing your wife!

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Bass Man Bruce:<br /> When I accidently stood on ours while painting (I swear, I just rested my toe on it!)it only cost $560.00!!!!!!!! Talk about impressing your wife!
My Whirlpool Stove didn't cost that much for the whole stove! :eek:

Link

Rear Admiral

Sorry about bringing up a old post but I missed this one. MIL bought one of them flat surface rascals last year.<br /><br />FSHKPR<br />Until reading this post I was another Barlow. <br />Nice looking until you use it the first time! :mad: <br /><br />But I printed out Cerama-brite and will pick some up tomorrow before heading over to MILs for dinner.<br /><br />My other complaint is learning to use those darn heating elements at lower heats! But since I only use it like once a week it took forever to learn where to set the burners. Glow on, glow off ack!<br /><br />What I love about the thing the best is being able to set the oven at eaxctly the correct temp! Will make a seperate post tomorrow evening with results from cleaning that nasty top surface.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Need to clarify use of soft scrub. On heavy dried spills with a very wet cloth. For general clean up just water and a dry towel. The cleaner provided is excellent to shine it too.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'm totally miffed!!! .. all these guys on here say they like it!?!? never known so many men to cook and THEN clean the kitchen.. hell even clean!! .. you sure you guys got the right house hold you mention? should get the wives on here and get their thoughts .. :p :D <br /><br />
Originally posted by FSHKPR:<br /> wow barlow your the first person i ever heard of that did not like thiers...
Totaly unsatisfied FSHKPR .. being single, I usually clean while I cook - efficiency thing I guess.. and if something hits those damn burners while cooking, a quick wipe-up with a damp rag isn't possible and boil-overs are what nightmares are made of. The next home owners should enjoy it, I wish them the best!! I'm going to throw in a 4-1/2" angle grinder and a few disks for a house warming present. <br /><br /> :D <br /><br />no screwin' around w/next house - tried and true gas cooking .. this electric crap is for the birds.