Clean powerhead?

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of removing the powerhead on my 1979 115 Evinrude for a rebuild. A ring broke due to coking. I am going to rebuild the carbs and replace the thermostats, but was wondering if the block/internals can or should be cleaned...and with what? There is a lot of sticky carbon buildup on the entire backside including the block, pistons, heads etc etc. Since I will be taking everything apart I would like to clean it as well, but am not sure which chemicals if any are safe.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Clean powerhead?

When you send the block to the machine shop ask them to clean it. They'll have the dip tank and spray cab to do it correctly. If you glass bead it, it'll look like new. Obviously you won't need to worry about cleaning the pistons since you'll be getting new ones.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I asked the place I was thinking of taking it to about the cleaning and they said they don't since the block is aluminum and chemicals would eat the block...

The other (first) place I called said they would clean it for $90...but they also charge twice as much per hole ($60).

Should the cleaning be done before or after the boring...in case I take it to one for boring and the other for cleaning.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

See that light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.

You're going to be way ahead to send it someplace like Mar Fab or Flagship where they are set up to do outboard work and can supply you with anything you need.

That first shop that doesn't have the correct chemicals to clean aluminum is not set up to do outboard work. Run Forest, run.