clean gas smell from live well

mar t gray

Cadet
the hose to my gas tank was not connected correctly and leaked out. i now have a strong odor in my live well. i can't for the life of me think of how gas would have got in there and i don't think gas actually got in there but it does smell of gas . so my question is. whats the best way/product to clean the smell out?<br />thx<br />Marty

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: clean gas smell from live well

Might sound funny.... But I use mouthwash or toothpaste to get rid of gas odors. Might be worth a try.

mar t gray

Cadet

thx dave but will that remove the gas or just the smell as it's the live well and the fish will not servive unless the tank is clean

mar t gray

Cadet

thx dave but will that remove the gas or just the smell as it's the live well and the fish will not servive unless the tank is clean.<br />thx<br />Marty

Ron G

Commander

check your hoses from the livewell down in the bilge area make sure there hooked up and are tight then try baking soda,or bleach.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Try to do a little looking around to see where exactly the smell is coming from. You don't want to spend a lot of time and energy scrubbing the live well only to find out later that a contaminated rubber hose was stinking up the area. Trace where the leaking gas would have gone. Is some of it still there? Is the smell just a residual stink, or is it strong enough to suggest free product is still lurking in the bilge somewhere? <br /><br />When we decontaminate sampling gear in the field from petroleum products we start with hot soapy water (laudry detergent is OK). After you have thoroughly cleaned the area, wipe it down with acetone. That will remove residue left on the surface and won't hurt cured fiberglass surfaces and since acetone is soluble in water it is easy to wash away. Then rinse again with soapy water and finally clean fresh water. You may need to replace some of the hoses that supply the live well. Rubber products may absorb enough gas into the rubber that the stink will be there a long time.

mar t gray

Cadet

thx for the latest input i knew the right answer would come along. but i must say there seams to be nothing easy about fixing or repairing a boat.<br />again <br />thx<br />Marty

KCLOST

Commander

Acetone will work wonders, <br /><br />But believe it or not you can do basically the same thing with a good cleaner like fantastic or even better a toilet bowl clealer like the "works"... Do the cleaning first,, then fill the livewell with water from the garden hose and circulate it for a while, add some more toilet bowl cleaner to flush and clean the lines, and then rinse the hell out of it more than once to ensure everything is clean...<br /><br />But make sure you don't have a breach in the lines to cause the problem to occur all over again...