Clean engine outside

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there,<br /><br />my 90 HP OMC engine is quite "dirty", grease, oil and mixtures of fuel/sand etc, I would like to clean it with some sort of cleaning spray and hose it down. My neighbour fears I would do more bad than good, as the grease and oil propably protects that all girl better and I could get cleaning solution and water in places there they should not be ???.<br /><br />Any opinions or alternate methods would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thank you

Re: Clean engine outside

you aint going to hurt that motor wash the mess out of it get some degreaser and spray own it any wash it down you aint going to hurt it

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It's a boat motor, think (weather) soap, and water should'nt stop it.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

After you clean and degrease it, spray it down with a product called T9 from Boeing. It is designed to protect jet engines during down time. It is a bit pricey but it works great!<br />Mac

Walker

Captain

I take mine to the carwash. Just don't spray into the airbox. Then I let it set in the sun all day. Spray it down good with LPS2 and I'm done.

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for those ideas. I like the one with the car wash :)

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Walker,<br />Just got a degreaser from Home Depot. Use instruction tells me to cover distributer, all electronic components, carburator and inlets.<br /><br />You dont cover all those parts at a car wash do you ?<br />So I assume its OK if I'm just carefull where to spray and hose ???? (Propably leave this stator and flywheel out)

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

V12mac<br /><br />got that stuff from the local marine shop.<br />9.99 sounds OK if it does what is written on the can. Thanks for the tip.