Classic Lyman Sportfisherman Do They Plane?

TimB

Cadet
Hello, I am thinking I would like my next boat to be a classic (probably fiberglass) Lyman Sportfisherman (or similar Lyman set-up). I am wondering if those boats have planing hulls and/or are sufficiently powered?

My experience with similar size inboard boats is limited - a friend has a 23 Mako center console that was converted from I/O, and it plows the water, and another freind had a 20 foot Shamrock that also did not seem to plane (never rode on it - just saw it following us on the water once).

Thanks for any input.

Tim

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Classic Lyman Sportfisherman Do They Plane?

As a member of the Lyman Boat Owner's Association, I've ridden in quite a few. They never made a "Sportfisherman", if you're talking about the generic term. Maybe you mean a Lyman "Sportsman".

In any event, yes they DO plane. And yes they were all sufficiently powered. If you plan to use the boat in heavy seas you won't find a more forgiving hull.

The problem is what do you mean by "sufficient" power. My buddy has owned several Formulas and keeps going bigger and bigger and now he's still not happy with twin 454's. So, if your aim is to go faster than the crowd, buy a Fountain instead.

Also remember that Lyman has been out of business for many years, so any fiberglass model you find will likely cost you more to restore it than you paid for it. If you are looking for a labor of love, join the group and enjoy!

TimB

Cadet
Re: Classic Lyman Sportfisherman Do They Plane?

Thanks for the info Jim. By "sufficient power" I just meant enough to get the hull up on a plane.

I suppose I did mean a Lyman Sportsman. I like the set up of the Lymans: basically an over-sized run about that is mostly open deck space but with enough cabin to stow a day's worth of gear and for the ladies to use the potty. The relative simplicity of an inboard is attractive too, as is having a fiberglass boat with enough wood finish to be a bit showy.

I like working on my old stuff - and I have a lot of it. Too bad I have to work for a living, or I would do a lot more tinkering.

Have a good season.

Tim