Classic Fifty Gear Housing Removal

TimB

Cadet
I am trying to remove the gear housing so I can replace the water pump. It is stuck and I have not been able to get it off. I used the two nuts on the studs in the front of the housing to push up against the middle section and push the gear housing down (used sheet metal straps to keep from munging up the mid section) but that only got me about 1/2 inch of separation.

I have the shifter in forward position as per the manual.

Seems that there is enough rusty junk between the outside of the pump housing and inside of the gear housing to keep it from coming off. I sprayed it good with WD40 and hope that helps when I try again tomorrow.

Anyone have any tricks to get these things off.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Classic Fifty Gear Housing Removal

Did you get the other two bolts off? It shouldn't need that much force to pop off...don't break it!

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure if it matters, but mine was in neutral when it came off and that didn't seem to cause any issues.

TimB

Cadet

The other two bolts were out, and it did take a lot of force. I screwed the gear housing up against the mid section a couple of times while spraying lube at anything that did not seem to move.

Then working it down the third time I had to use hard wood wedges to get the darn thing off, but finally did. I don't think I broke anything.

The pin at the top of the drive shaft was encrusted with what looked like oily carbon build up. That must have been what was holding it.