Classic 50 carb kit help

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unfortunately my 86 Classic 50 4 cyl serial number is so faint it is illegible.<br />I want to get a carb rebuild kit for it but dealers work on serial numbers.<br />The carburetta has WMA6 -1 stamped on the to og the casing with 10/86 as well.<br />My Seloc manual doesn't show it. they have others and the later WME carbs.<br /> I need a part number for the carb kit and also a float needle.<br />Please help

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Classic 50 carb kit help

There should be a round welch plug on the block with the S/N stamped on it...The dealer S/N chart should have YOM also.(year of manufacture)...

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

inlineal - there is no whelsh plug on it with a serial number. there is a plastic cap where the welsh should have been, but no number.<br />Appanantly at some time, Mercury had a 'stick on serial number' that would fall off.<br /> <br />I have for some time been trying to get a number, and since this O/B is second hand it is difficult as the history is unknown.<br /><br />The lower carb has WMA6 - 3 stamped on it, where as the top carb has WMA6-1.

Laddies

Banned

Sierra kit-18-7215/////inlet needle-18-7295 these parts are for all WMA series carbs

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

According to the serial number charts mercury did not have a 50 hp classic 4 in 1986, because around that time they re-rated horsepower from the crankshaft to the propshaft, the well known classic Mark 58 derivative 44 cubic inch 4 cylinder became the 45. Unless you have a Belgian made one?<br /><br />The 1986 50hp was a 3 cylinder.<br /><br />So, are you sure it's a 1986, are you sure it's a 50hp, and are you sure it's a 4 cylinder and not a 3? if the manufacture date on the carbs is true, it could be also 1987.

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just noticed your from Australia, perhaps you do have a Belgian (sp?) manu. one.<br /><br />Anyway, in that era they were installing two manufaturers of carbs, Tillotson and Walboro, yours is walboro that's what the W stands for. (K is tillotson)<br /><br />If your dealer has time, most of the printed parts lists they have for engines list the manfacturer and model number of the carb. If they pull parts lists for models it could possibly be, in the carb section it will say WMA6 etc.

Superdave

Cadet

I believe all the "WMA" carbs use the same needle and seat. The main differences being the actual jet sizes, which you don't normally replace.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by mixerjv:<br /> According to the serial number charts mercury did not have a 50 hp classic 4 in 1986, because around that time they re-rated horsepower from the crankshaft to the propshaft, the well known classic Mark 58 derivative 44 cubic inch 4 cylinder became the 45. Unless you have a Belgian made one?<br /><br />The 1986 50hp was a 3 cylinder.<br /><br /><br />So, are you sure it's a 1986, are you sure it's a 50hp, and are you sure it's a 4 cylinder and not a 3? if the manufacture date on the carbs is true, it could be also 1987.
It is infact the 45 Hp one, although the decals say classic 50. It is a 4 cyl and perhaps it is an 87 mod, I was going by what I was told.<br /> If the 10/86 is in fact the build month/year on the carby then there is a good chance it was made in 87 me thinks?

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for the quick replies.<br />Getting parts for O/B is even more difficult than cars.