circut breaker poping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bird99

Cadet
It is a 1991 Carevelle, OMC Cobra 4.3 liter <br />After running engin for less than 2 minutes at 2500 RPMs, the 50 amp (red) breaker pops( the one that controlls the dashboard and everything up front). I thought it was a short or a ground, but can not find it. I also had a new regulator put in the altenator. Can any one help.<br />When the breaker pops too much volts comes through, evident by a meter and fish finder shutting off. The engine itself keeps running until you shut it down. But will not start again(no power up front) until the breaker is reset.<br /><br />John Nolette<br />27 Empire Circle<br />Rensselaer NY 12144<br />jnolette@nycap.rr.com email<br />(518) 433-0715 call collect if you have an answer

495v

Chief Petty Officer
Re: circut breaker poping

Just a thought, but are you sure you have large enough of a fuse in there. I'm almost sure, not 100%, that my Mercruiser v8 has a 75amp in it. Check out the manual.

bird99

Cadet

Thank You for the reply. It is a 4.3 litre V6, and I do not have a manual yet. I sent for one but it won't be here until next week. If you have a manual could you check it out? Maybe I should put a 75 amp breaker in anyway. Dose the bigger breaker interfer with anything else?

D

DJ

bird99,<br /><br />DON"T put a bigger breaker in. If anything, replace it with another 50. Breakers can wear out and act strange like that.<br /><br />You said you replaced the voltage regulator. I think you found your problem. The volt meter and fish finder are telling you something. Your regulator is not regulating.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

bird99:<br /><br />like djohns said. dont put a bigger breaker in. That size is there for a reason... you have a problem with either the breaker or elsewhere. try replacing the breaker with same size and see what happens.<br /><br />good luck<br /><br />tallman

bird99

Cadet

Reply to djohns19. I already put the new voltage regulator in. Actually I went to an alternator shop where he benched tested it prior to putting the new one in and said he saw no problem. I had him put the new one in anyway. I will not be putting in a larger breaker as strongly suggested. Any oter ideas are appreciated.<br />Thank You

bird99

Cadet

Reply to tallman8251, When you say the breaker or some where else. Where is some where else. Please be specific. Thank you for the help.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i would start the boat, then turn on accesories one by one. see if one of them causes the breaker to trip. maybe u can isolate it that way. are u sure the shop put the right regulator in?

bird99

Cadet

Is there a difference between a regulator from an altenator that comes from a marine product opposed to a non marine product? When I had the regulator changed he gave me back the old one, that hs said was nothing wrong with in the first place. But this shop is used to working on cars not boats. As for the assessories being swithched on one by one, I tried that, blower, horn, pump, radio , ect. Although I noticed that when you hit the horn the tackometer will jump aprox 1000. I looked for a wiring problem there as did five other people, and come up with nothing. The breaker will not trip unless the boat is running at 2000 to 2500 rpms for aprox. a minute. I have brought the boat to several marine mechanics, all are stumped by the problem. Thats why I was hoping some one may have experienced the same problem and had a sucessful conclusion. I brought it to a mechanic yesterday, that was highly recomended. He unhooked the altenator and by passed it from the breaker and the breaker did not trip while I was there. But when I launched it yesterday around 7:00 pm and proceeded to cross this river the breaker triped. Keep in mind the engine dose not stop running, and now that I hooked the fish finder directly to the battery it also kept working proplery. I ran the boat for aprox an hour at all different speeds with the breaker triped. You can run the boat just fine until you shut it off. My concern is sooner or later I am going to get stranded, and what damage am I doing running it with the triped breaker.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Have you tried a new breaker? Some times parts only go half bad. If your lucky a half bad part can get back to the ramp without a tow but still have to be replaced to work right.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I noticed that you said that the engine will still run even once the breaker trips. This tells me that your alternator charging system is just fine. That is why it continues to run. It is suppling its on electrical power to continue to run. It really sounds like a ground problem to me. Then you said you noticed your tach freaking out when the horn is blowed. This tells me that the horn is trying to possibly ground out through your instrument system. I would start by cleaning all negative terminals first before anything else. Bad Grounds will cause the most weird things to happen in an electrical system. Good Luck Bird!

D

DJ

bird99,<br /><br />I still think you have an overcharge condition. The battery you hooked your fishfinder to is just acting like a big resistor. You still have too much line voltage/amperage in the system.<br /><br />The automotive regulator MAY be different. Remember, grounds (faulty) can cause the alternator to think it needs to charge at full rate.

bird99

Cadet

Reply to SS MAYFLOAT,and anyone else. If I disconect the horn will it iliminate the bad ground, if it is there?<br />What exactly to you mean by "cleaning" the grounds? How do you pinpoint a bad ground?

al murch

Cadet

See a electrician and ask him if you can borrow a clamp around amp meter and watch it as you go thru your routine. If you notice a change see what happens, run the boat w/o any accessories. then add as you please, and watch the AMP Meter. They are not very expensive and they come in handy for home use also. It needs to be clamped around only one conductor at a time. Two will nullify the operation. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.