circuit breaker?

DavidP

Cadet
Hi,
I recently bought my first boat a 1999 Regal 176 Valanti with a 2003 3.0 Mercruiser engine :D
Now the wiring seems to need some help. I found under the gauges a not connected part which I assume is a circuit breaker. Can someone acknowledge this? Where is this one supposed to be connected in between? I would think between ignition and starter since all the other stuff like bilge, blower, horn, gauges run through the fuse box but I'm not sure.

thanks in advance,
David

Attachments

• breaker.jpg
    breaker.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
  • breaker2.jpg
    breaker2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: circuit breaker?

Can't tell from the picture but if it has more than two terminals on it it's a relay, not a circuit breaker. If it's a circuit breaker, it may have a small reset button on it which is used to reset the breaker if it trips. If it doesn't have the button, it may still be a breaker but it resets automatically. Don't have a clue what it's used for since without a full schematic or at least a hint of where one or more wires go, we simply are of little help. It would seem strange that on a 1999 boat a breaker would be located under the console since most boats have of that vintage have fairly well organized fuse panels. I'm guessing its a relay and as such it would control an accessory that draws a fair amount of power.

DavidP

Cadet

Hi Silvertip,

it has just two connections which means no relay. The exact location is right next the the ignition key part. The 2nd picture shows the view from outside and it could be a button to push in in case it breaks the connection but I'm not sure.

Is there a save way to get a circuit breaker with 20A stamped on to "break" in order that I can test it? I will try to screw it out and take some better pics. From your answer I take that no normal equipment needs a 20A fuse / breaker.

thanks,
David

drewpster

Commander

From what I can see David it is definitely a circuit breaker. I can tell because of the reset button covered by the clear rubber cover over it. From the picture it is rated at 20 amps. I looks as though it was factory installed as there is a triangle w/exclamation icon located above it.

My guess is that someone has either bypassed the breaker (a BIG no-no) or eliminated the need for it. Being that it is so close to the key switch, logic would dictate that it was used in the start or run circuits, but I am not sure why.

It is also possible that a previous owner removed whatever the breaker powered, eliminating the need for it.

The danger here is the possibility that someone bypassed the breaker due to nuisance tripping. In this case some bonehead bypassed the breaker instead of fixing the problem causing the tripping. This is a dangerous practice performed by shade tree mechanics who know no better. I would check the whole system completely and look closely for new, or newer looking wire or any wire runs that are not tinned. Only tinned wire would normally be used in a boat. If you find wire that is not tinned it is most likely one that has been replaced.

A quick way to find out is to take note of any markings on the wire bundles that look factory installed. They should have similar markings showing gauge, run length or insulation rating. Some marine cables will have "Anchor" or "Marine Wire" printing on them. If you find an odd colored wire or one without marine ratings similar to the rest of the bundles, you will have your shade tree wire. Simply trace it out, check the circuit and reattach it to the breaker making the circuit safe again. (after replacing it with proper marine wire of course)

Do a good once over of the electrics and look for wires that don't belong. If you are lucky, the boneheads left the wiring alone and the breaker is simply not not needed. I pulled a wad of wire out of my project boat the size of a basket ball that had been "shade treed". Lets hope you have better luck!

DavidP

Cadet

Just to give you an idea of the previous owner: just the tachometer and the fuel gauge was correct connected (and even here without the light wire connections...). The previous owner just cut a lot of wires for instance from the radio/CD player leaving them blank while removing some loudspeakers. The temp sensor was connected to a wrong wire on the engine. And I still have one part I'm not sure what it is but I guess it is an alarm like for the temp. Maybe someone can tell what it is?

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2689&d=1181331078 & http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2690&d=1181331169

There where two tubes for the speedometer (one coming from the outdrive and one from an external pickup) and both where just cut so that I had a surprise while my first ride....

So far I was able to reconnect most of the stuff correctly. The only missing ones are the circuit breaker and this ? device. I will try to find out examining the cables what could be connected to the breaker. I ordered a manual @ Regal. Hopefully I will find in there what was connected to if I can't find it on another way. They just need to reprint it and this will take till beginning of next month :mad:

thanks,
David

drewpster

Commander

The item in the picture is a buzzer. Most likely it was used as an audible warning as you suggested.
A friend of mine suggested the breaker may have been used as overload protection in the starter selenoid low volt circuit.
Several years ago I rewired a fuse panel in a 1968 Bronco. The teenaged owners wealthy parents had spend upwards of $15k restoring the old truck for thier son. He saw fit to install a new stereo. The result was a big bundle of burned wires at the fuse panel. Daddy was a bit miffed. The repairs took 11 hours and cost them $1200+. USE fuses people!

DavidP

Cadet

thanks drewpster for the feedback. I will add the circuit breaker to the starter circuit (from ignition to starter). Yesterday I found a wiring diagram which shows that the buzzer is connected to one or all of the following components: temp sensor/switch, oil pressure sensor/switch and drive unit oil level sensor/switch. I have to check if I have a sensor/switch at the drive unit oil level bottle since I don't have one for the oil pressure and for the water temp.