Cinderblocks - Under Tongue or Jack???

I am new to boating and have my boat on my tandem trailer in my driveway. I have a couple of questions regarding the trailer.

I was told that I need to place the boat trailer jack on cinderblocks because the trailer is not designed to stay long periods of time on the jack/wheel. Maybe its my inexperience but my question is that if I put it on cinder blocks, there is still weight on the jack/wheels. Is there a difference in the amount of weight on the jack and wheel? Another person told me I need to place the tongue on cinder blocks and place the wheel up as if I was trailering it. I don't know which one is correct.

I also noticed that I have a leak or may need a new tire on the trailer. Is it safe to jack a trailer with the boat on it?

Any help would be great. Sorry if these questions are on here already - couldn't find them.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cinderblocks - Under Tongue or Jack???

Leave the tongue on the jack. Whoever gave you that line of BS hasn't ever owned a trailer. The only way I could possibly see a problem is if the jack and/or wheel are lightweight and not rated for your tongue weight. But I doubt even that. Yes, you can jack up the trailer with the boat still on it with no worries.

Welcome to iboats, BTW...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use a sissor jack under the axle, as close to the wheel as you can get it. i like to connect to tow vehicle, that way you do not risk shifting. as long as the jack, raise the bow high enough, that water drain out the transom drain, i use the jack. if the jack is too short, find something else to get the bow high enough. on my small boat i use a 4 foot ladder.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The safest place to jack the trailer is under the leaf spring. NEVER attempt to jack the trailer in the middle of the axle as it will bend. I can't believe people would even think about doing this but I've seen it done. I also saw a guy trying to change a tire on a car and this idiot had the bumper jack (remember those) in the wheel well with the hook on the lip of the fender.

Thanks, these forums are really helpful to us newbies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I guess the only reason that cinder blocks are used are to make sure that the boat drains properly and that it stays level while being parked - its not to take the weight off of the trailer jack and wheel. Let me know if I misunderstood. Thanks all!

Danny in CO

Cadet

In my humble opinion, never use cinder blocks for any kind of blocking! I use 4x6 wooden blocks for blocking.

When leaving my boat at home, I put blocks under the rear corners of the trailer and then raise the front jack until the rear is solidly on the blocks. Why you ask? Because I'm about 230 lbs and when I get in the back of the boat I don't want the front coming up and doing whatever it wants.

Just my $.02 cent worth.
Danny

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

when storing my boat I will use cinderblocks and a jack stand under the toung because my jack is not able to give me the height I need for the bow up position needed for storage.

for seasonal storage I always lower my the toung down on a stand just enough to relive some pressure on the jack this also makes it more stable. I have seen alot of jacks fail in storage no matter if overweighed or not and acording to my local marina they replace alot of jacks in the spring, and it just makes me feel better weather its helping or not.