chum salmon

g6ips3y

Cadet
any one been able to catch chums in the salt water , In washington state ? I have read the SALMON UNIVERSITY page and Tried it and caught a silver today ! The chums are coming , I would like to catch them fresh for smoking

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: chum salmon

Saltwater Fishing topic.

dmonwai

Seaman

Check out www.gamefishin.com, its a local (Washington State) fishing web site. Try posting your question there on the forums. You will get a lot of help there.<br /><br />I fish for kings, silvers and sometimes pinks in the salt. I have not really tried for chums but it sounds like they are starting to show up now in Puget Sound.

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try purple for your lure's and flasher<br />chum's are attracted by darker colours<br />and i understand purple works well.<br /><br />good luck !

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you get any Chums this year have at least one of them processed into Chum candy. I guess they use extra brown sugar in the brine. I used to turn them loose or give them away when I caught them. Now I take them to Jensen's in Seattle's Greenwood neighborhood for smoking. I am very satisfied with them fixed this way. Looking forward to catching some again one day. They sure are exciting to have on the line - fight real good and frequently lose them. By the way, I have also had Coho fixed with the "candy" recipe. Makes for a good snack and a change from ordinary smoked salmon.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scotty c thanks for the suggestion to use purple for lures and flashers for catching chums. I'll give it a try this year. Most folks use green tackle or herring slow trolled right on top in Puget Sound for chums. Trying something new adds a little more fun and interest to the fishing game.