oldboat1
Fleet Admiral
Thread starter- Joined
- Apr 3, 2002
- Messages
- 9,612
About a month ago, I picked up a 1978 Sailor (10 hp, mod. 101H8A). The short story seems to be that the lower unit might be a mismatch. The gearshift works fine, except that pulling the lower shift rod up shifts into reverse, and I think pulling it up should shift into forward gear. The upper shift rod (motor end) is pulled up when shifting into forward. I initially thought this was an adjustment issue (lower rod), but now think the lower unit is incompatible with the engine. (This is the extra long sailor lower, with the oversized prop -- but maybe the wrong Sailor lower unit for this engine?) Any ideas on this? I haven't been into the gearcase, and prefer not to be. I replaced the impeller and wear plate, and the driveshaft seals above and below the impeller housing -- thought for a while that maybe removing the driveshaft from the gearcase messed things up (moved the lower shift rod while the shaft was out, for example), but on disassembly it appears the seating the driveshaft depends only on spline alignment. So I don't know what to do from here. If somebody did a fix on the gearcase, is it possible that gear assembly was reversed somehow?