Chrysler - Run to or away?

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I'm considering buying a boat with a Chrysler 45 on it. I have several 1950's Johnsons, and have rebuilt them all. But I know NOTHING about a Chrysler.
Are they worth while?
Are they junk?

I'm really buying for the boat, not engine, but I'm just wondering if I will most likely be looking for another motor, or can I assume to use the Chrysler?

Attachments

• dura6.jpg
    dura6.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chrysler - Run to or away?

I suspect parts availability will be disappointing.

that's not a Belvedere in the background, is it?

CATransplant

Admiral

It depends on how the Chrysler is. If it runs well and pumps water, you might as well use it. If it doesn't run or has other problems, then there's a question. A lot of people own Chrysler outboards, but parts are getting scarcer, and a lot of shops just won't work on them, mostly due to that fact.

Still, you can keep them running, but it's not as easy as going down to the local Johnnyrude store to get parts.

I guess it depends what you want. I wouldn't spend a ton of money, though, on a 45 hp Chrysler. You can usually pick up a 60s Johnson or Evinrude 40 hp for just a few hundred bucks, and that's for a good running one. It will outperform your Chrysler, even with 5 fewer horsepower, and parts are readily available. The only caveat is to avoid any of them with any sort of electric shift. That can be a problem.

I suppose if it were me, and the Chrysler was running, I'd slap an impeller in it and use it, while looking for that Johnnyrude 40. When I found it, I'd either sell the Chrysler, if it was still running, or junk it if it wasn't.

But that's just me...

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suspect parts availability will be disappointing.

that's not a Belvedere in the background, is it?

I'm thinking it's a Comet. I think the seller is into those.

It depends on how the Chrysler is. If it runs well and pumps water, you might as well use it. If it doesn't run or has other problems, then there's a question. A lot of people own Chrysler outboards, but parts are getting scarcer, and a lot of shops just won't work on them, mostly due to that fact.

Still, you can keep them running, but it's not as easy as going down to the local Johnnyrude store to get parts.

I guess it depends what you want. I wouldn't spend a ton of money, though, on a 45 hp Chrysler. You can usually pick up a 60s Johnson or Evinrude 40 hp for just a few hundred bucks, and that's for a good running one. It will outperform your Chrysler, even with 5 fewer horsepower, and parts are readily available. The only caveat is to avoid any of them with any sort of electric shift. That can be a problem.

I suppose if it were me, and the Chrysler was running, I'd slap an impeller in it and use it, while looking for that Johnnyrude 40. When I found it, I'd either sell the Chrysler, if it was still running, or junk it if it wasn't.

But that's just me...

Good info there, thanks. I may be getting off toppic here, but weren't some of the 60's Johnson's bad? Is that just the V style? I guess the 40 you're reffering to is pretty much the same as my '50's motors though.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yah...the 40 is a Big Twin, just like the 50s 30 and 35 hp models. They made them for decades. The only ones that really cause problems are the electric shift models. When they're working, they're fine, but when they have problems the parts are not available, and super expensive. The manual shift models are great.

One of those on your old boat would look great, and would outperform that Chrysler 45 all to heck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Part it out on e-bay and buy something you can get spares for.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

alot of people on this site will tell you that it was a budget outboard and it may not last to much longer

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I bought a Chrysler 45 hp, 2 cyl back in '71 and put it on the Chrysler 15 or 16' Trihull. The engine did fine but for a family of 6 it just wasn't enough power.

I swapped it back to the dealer for a 3 cyl 85 hp and it ran out ok. Just had to drag a fuel barge behind the boat.

The 45 is a low end Ford kind of engine. Good and reliable but you don't have much. If that is what you want and expect fine.

Also, I'd check parts availability. If you have a problem that could be a problem.

There has been a lot of ownership turnover with that compay.

Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i just part out chyslers and force when i get them. i the car is either a mercury comet or ford fairlane. my mother in law had one.

BF

Lieutenant

I have a '69 45 hp... was my FIL's before. It's on a 14' fiberglass runabout and is fine for pulling a tube around with small kids or whatever. I've skied behind it too. It actually idles OK and pushes that little boat along very smartly. I can't imagine that a 40 hp OMC would do any better. I figure it's free, and I'll use it until it croaks at which time I'll ditch the whole outfit (it's not worth much and a bit too small for my family)... I did put a new impeller in it a year or so ago. It leaks a bit of water into the LU, but not much (and has done that for years/decades). I just change the LU oil mid season, to not let it get out of hand. Also a year or so ago, I changed the overflow fuel drain line from the intake manifold so that it drains into a little bottle instead of down into the exhaust passage of the leg. I didn't like the oil slick that the motor was causing when tied to our dock. Collecting that little bit of fuel/oil makes it much less obnoxious around the dock (where we swim).

If it works now, then I'd use it as is. Otherwise, I'd put the effort into a motor with better parts availability.

Edit:

BTW, the motor in the pict is missing the clam-shell type covers that go over the mid section.