Chrysler Review

cenrique

Seaman
I need reviews and comments about this engine. Chrysler 50 hp 1985 two stroke

Thanks

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Chrysler Review

Well, there are lots of them around, but they haven't been made for a long time, and parts are sometimes difficult, although commonly replaced parts are readily available.

They can be an inexpensive way to get 50 hp on your boat, but that's probably the best that can be said. If it runs well, you'll have an outboard that will push your boat. When it breaks, you'll have something of a headache.

Don't pay anything close to what an equivalent 50hp Johnson, Evinrude, or Mercury sells for. If you're looking for a bargain, and you can get it in great running condition, it should give you some good service.

RRitt

Captain

Well, there are lots of them around, but they haven't been made for a long time, and parts are sometimes difficult, although commonly replaced parts are readily available.

They can be an inexpensive way to get 50 hp on your boat, but that's probably the best that can be said. If it runs well, you'll have an outboard that will push your boat. When it breaks, you'll have something of a headache.

Don't pay anything close to what an equivalent 50hp Johnson, Evinrude, or Mercury sells for. If you're looking for a bargain, and you can get it in great running condition, it should give you some good service.

had to laugh. Spoken like a true Johnson man.

I have Force engines & all the neighbors have Yamaha, Mercury, J/E. Not much I/O because it's a small craft salt water community. My neighbors spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars every year maintaining their boats. I average $50 per year including new batteries. They complain about $1200 parts and I complain about the marina wanting $28 for a rectifier that I can buy from mouser for $3.50. They whine about $600 stators and I whine that standard magneto can't have my $120 stator here until next week.

So the truth as I see it ...

if you are a good DIY mechanic then Chrysler is the best outboard that you can possibly buy. It will run like a clock, last forever, never break, and cost only pennies to maintain.

BUT - if you are not so good at DIY or plan to have someone else do the work then buy a different engine. Your Chrysler engine doesn't represent anything of value to the marina. You have an engine that they don't stock parts for and whose technology is older than many of their mechanics. The best profit they can hope for from you is a few hundred here and there with a lot of special order headaches in between. On the other hand, the Johnson owner is cash cow that will be pouring money into their bank account for a decade. So they will give your chrysler to the least profitable or least skilled mechanic they have. It's just not a good deal. You'll pay top dollar for second class workmanship.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

AMEN Ritt! Today I saw a Johnson being used as a mailbox. Must be a reason the guy didn't want to run it, but gutted it and put his house number on the cowl.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

Had to reply here! Ya' know, I was out cruising on the lake yestarday (Lake George) just amazed at how freekin' good my Force runs ('84, 85hp). This thing literally purrrrrrrs! I do all the maintenance & upkeep myself & thats because the motor doesn't intimidate me nor do I have the $$$$ to afford a shop or their techs. Yeah, I have an older outdated rig & it always gets me home! I take care of it!! & I see a lot of tow jobs costing $100.00 per hour. just yesterday in fact, right aound the time my 20+ year Force was singing.

just a side note: I remember in my late teens/ early twenties having to work on all my cars to keep them running. I couldn't afford anything nice so I had to learn stuff myself. The point is, I couldn't begin to work on cars of today (like my Rav4), nor any of the new marine motors. Do you think repair shops & manufacturers (cars or boats) have an idea about this?