Chrysler marine 440 thermostat

Larkbill

Recruit
Helping a friend with his '72 Century Coronado and we would like to replace thermostat but now having second thoughts. It has the high priced screw in type and a local "guru" said if we can get it out a regular car unit will fit the cavity if we use an o-ring to help seal it. We haven't tried yet but apparently getting the old one out can be a trial. Has anyone here done that conversion?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard. Did you service the raw water pump first?

Larkbill

Recruit
Welcome aboard. Did you service the raw water pump first?
No. I'm an old outboard collector and car/motorcycle guy. I got involved with this project to track down an exhaust leak in the intake manifold. Turned out to be a hole in the exhaust cross over. Carb was also in really bad shape and just got it running again after replacing both manifold and carb.

Does the raw water pump have a metal or rubber impeller? Common for it to need service?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No. I'm an old outboard collector and car/motorcycle guy. I got involved with this project to track down an exhaust leak in the intake manifold. Turned out to be a hole in the exhaust cross over. Carb was also in really bad shape and just got it running again after replacing both manifold and carb.

Does the raw water pump have a metal or rubber impeller? Common for it to need service?
Rubber and a replace every few years thing. Just like in outboards

Get the right thermostat cartridge