Chrysler 90 question

mrsocial

Cadet
First post on the forum! I have a 1965 90 HP Chrysler outboard on my boat. It only seems to want to start with the help of "white death". I ve used carb cleaner on it. Only run 94 octane fuel thru it. I m wondering if its on its last leg?? I have to clean the spark plugs quite often which helps a little. It just seems like a pain in the *** to start everytime out I usually just rely on my kicker which starts first pull :D

24eosn8.jpg

9u3zfp.jpg

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler 90 question

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the pics, looks like a good old unit. A bit of history would help- of course, like have you owned the 90 for a while and it used to run great, then it started to not run so great? If you need to help her start- don't do it again. Some of the aerostart agents can be VERY bad for your 2 stroke. Sounds like a fuel supply problem, so I would rebuild the fuel pump- an easy thing to do yourself. You can get the bits here. Then check the timing. If you can, check the compression and report back. But if the compression is good, then no, it isnt on its last legs!!

mrsocial

Cadet

we rescued her from a yard last summer where it had been sitting for 4 years. the trailer had a broken axle. we loaded it onto a flatbed, towed her to my yard, replaced the axle. Took her out on the lake a few times last summer, but like i said we ve always needed to use the white death to get her going. over the winter we tore out the whole interior and floor, new ribs, floor, fiberglassed it all in, and glued down new carpet. i will do a compression test on the weekend and get the results in this thread. Heres a couple shots of the interior. i still want to replace the steering wheel + cable.

1ik2lz.jpg

migjrb.jpg

15d9xk7.jpg

35k2vx3.jpg

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

Nice Resto!!

Some of the guys that know better than me will chip in, but it sounds like a fuel related issue- assuming compression is OK. Fuel pump diaphram/fuel lines clogged/fuel filter ( if fitted) clogged? When it does run- hows it go at WOT? Does it get to WOT?When you are underway is the primer bulb firm or squishy?

Love a good resto, keep at it!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

To start correctly when cold you first pump the primer bulb until it is hard. This fills the carbs with gas. Next, you pull out the silver knob on the control handle. This disengages the shifting mechanism. Now advance the control handle as far as it will go. This is fast idle/warm-up. There is a limiting device so the throttle will only crack open and timing advance a couple of degrees. This allows the engine to run at about 1500-2000 RPM.
Many Chryslers simply will not start unless they are in this position.

NOW: Push in the key and hold it in while turning to start. You will hear a click as the choke closes.The ignition switch is a push-to-choke however, it is only momentary and you must hold it in while cranking.

If the engine does not hot start simply by turning the key, check the idle speed. It must be about 700-750 in forward gear, in the water. Too low an idle will cause hot starting problems. Some of these engines are fussy andwill boil out some gas when hot and you must put the control in fast idle to start them.

If you absolutely must use starting fluid, buy the kind with oil in it. However, be aware that the starting fluid will still tend to wash oil off the bearings. Fuel mix is 50 to 1 or 1 pint oil per 6 gallons regular 87 octane gasoline (48-1).

matti.k

Recruit

Thanks Frank, you were right on the money. You trick and she started with no white gas at all !!!!!:D

Here is a before picture, to show our resto progress

54c7d455.jpg

mrsocial

Cadet

To start correctly when cold you first pump the primer bulb until it is hard. This fills the carbs with gas. Next, you pull out the silver knob on the control handle. This disengages the shifting mechanism. Now advance the control handle as far as it will go. This is fast idle/warm-up. There is a limiting device so the throttle will only crack open and timing advance a couple of degrees. This allows the engine to run at about 1500-2000 RPM.
Many Chryslers simply will not start unless they are in this position.

NOW: Push in the key and hold it in while turning to start. You will hear a click as the choke closes.The ignition switch is a push-to-choke however, it is only momentary and you must hold it in while cranking.

If the engine does not hot start simply by turning the key, check the idle speed. It must be about 700-750 in forward gear, in the water. Too low an idle will cause hot starting problems. Some of these engines are fussy andwill boil out some gas when hot and you must put the control in fast idle to start them.

If you absolutely must use starting fluid, buy the kind with oil in it. However, be aware that the starting fluid will still tend to wash oil off the bearings. Fuel mix is 50 to 1 or 1 pint oil per 6 gallons regular 87 octane gasoline (48-1).

I think we owe Frank a case of beer!!!