Chrysler 78'79 15HP rpm issues (Amongst others)

luckystriker

Cadet
Hi forum,

I recently purchased a late 70's 15HP Chrysler outboard from some bloke off a sales site. The guy ran the motor before i bought it and it sounded fine, but my inexperience may have cost me...

The Model is a " 152 HA "

The boat as reference is a inflatable (Rigid floor) 70kg..

Today i went out for my first run with the new motor (and boat). She started up after a few pulls and sounded good. The total weight was around 283kg (The other bloke weighed in at 110kg) and could not plane at all, maybe once but still at lowish rpm and speed ?nd only for a moment. The RPM's did not seem to go all the way despite nearly breaking the tiller off :) (Not really).

When i went along by myself, i got on the plane in a few seconds and it was great but RPM and power seemed so bad.

My questions are.
1) Could something be wrong with the engine (plugs ie. ? ( I have added a few pitures below)

2) Am i expecting to much from a old 15hp

3) Does the prop look like it's at the end of it's life (Picture below)

4) Could i be doing something wrong ?

(Sorry for the wall of text, wanted to add as much info as possible)

Pitures below

1000217h.jpg

1000215p.jpg

1000219b.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 78'79 15HP rpm issues (Amongst others)

First thing do a compression test.Then a spark test with NEW plugs.
Replace the old fuel with new.Make sure there is no water in the tank and clean the fuel filter and make sure there is no gunk in the pump and the diaphram is good(needs to be flat not stretched out.J

luckystriker

Cadet

First thing do a compression test.Then a spark test with NEW plugs.
Replace the old fuel with new.Make sure there is no water in the tank and clean the fuel filter and make sure there is no gunk in the pump and the diaphram is good(needs to be flat not stretched out.J

Thanks Jerry, i'll get on to that ASAP. As an update, took the boat out today by myself and it seemed to run OK. Measured about 15knots on the GPS, but with such a light boat, i thought i should have gotten more...i dont know...

And the end, motor started misfiring so i went to shore and packed up. As i put the motor in the car, a load of fuel came gushing out...thats my next problem anyway....Perhaps i'll hand it to the PRO's and let them sort it ( If it's economical anyway)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Fill out the profile.Tell us where your at.Someone might be just around the corner and can help.J