Chrysler 75 hp 1975 HELP!

everhart57

Cadet
Well I have many questions but this needs to be answered before I proceed as I am afraid I am causing damage. I have a 1975 chrysler 75 hp and I need to know where the heat and generator (orange and purple) wires should connect. I know this is probably stupid, but I keep thinking generator should go to ground but that doesn't make since its in a wiring harness... and the heat wire... well I just don't even know what that is. Any help would be appreciated. I have more questions but the wife is calling. Thanks

(Obviously this is my first boat)

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chrysler 75 hp 1975 HELP!

look at this...

Attachments

• 75-85Motorola.jpg
    75-85Motorola.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

purple is not used. you can connectit at the engine terminal board and leave it free but insulated with tape under the dashboard. Orange runs from the overheat sender on the head to the engine terminal board. Then the cable orange connects to it. under the dash, the orange connects to one wir of the overheat buzzer or light. Use a short jumper if necessary. The other wire of the buzzer is connected to the "I" terminal on the ignition switch. This way, power is only delivered while the engine is on. If the buzzer goes off indicating an overheat condition, stopping the engine will turn off the annoying noise and save some battery power.

everhart57

Cadet

okay, thanks for that.... now that's kind of how it's hooked up (orange wire is free as I don't have an indicator) and I was thinking maybe that was my problem but I guess not... so when I start it up it starts after much coaxing then these are the problems; 1. won't stay running unless key is held in the start position. 2. has trouble staying started when in idle position. 3. generally seems pretty hard to get started to me in the first place. Now I know when I got the motor it wasn't hooked to the throttle cable or the clutch cable (I had to guess on where to position the adjustments) could this all be realted to that problem? maybe I can take some pictures or something... if that would help... Is there a standard way to position these things?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it won't stay running unless in the start position, the ignition switch is bad. replace with a 6 terminal push to choke switch--right here at iboats store.

Hard starting may be your technique. First cold start, you must choke while cranking. Push in the key and hols while turning to start position.

Agian, normally on the first start, or when the engine is cold, you would pull out the chrome knob on the control box and advance the control handle as far as it will go. This is fast idle position and the engine will warm up at aout 2000 RPM

if the engine stalls in adle, then the idle speed is too low. Normal idle is 700-750 RPM in forward gear, in the water. This is adjusted by the idle stop screw on the bottom of the timing tower.

emoney

Commander

As to the above, are you sure you're not "pushing in the key" during the only times it will start? If that's the case, you're engaging the choke and it sounds like your motor is a little starved for fuel. Most carbs could stand a good cleaning at the very least, so keep that in mind.

Easy way to verify what I'm asking is turn the key without "pushing in" on it. It's not like an automotive key, so you could be doing this without knowing it.
If not, please ignore everything I said and wait until somebody much smarter comes along!:D

Good Luck!

wickware

Lieutenant

Do you have a horn that could serve as your over-heat indicator also? Plus, blowing the horn basically indicate your over-heat indicator should be working after testing the circuit.

everhart57

Cadet

okay so I am thinking the switch is the problem... what I did was take a regular auto ignition from autozone with sol, ign and battery connections... connected red wire and choke wire to batt jumper running through a "choke" button to the battery terminal, blue wire to ign and yellow wire to sol.... leaving everything else unhooked... is there a problem with this configuration that I am not seeing? do I have to buy the "proper" ignition for this to work? The guy that I bought the motor from said the this is the way that he had it hooked up in his boat but I am quickly learning not to trust anyone selling an outboard motor....

everhart57

Cadet

ok and as per the throttle cable and clutch cable? any ideas on how to adjust that for dummies? And once again on the dummy vein... how long does it take for the motor to be considered warm, on average, in a warm climate like central CA?

everhart57

Cadet

YAY!!! I LOVE THE BOAT!! We got her out on the water today... she ran!! Thanks guys... I still really need to understand how to adjust the idle... can't find the idle screw? Anyone have a picture? I know I'm a dummy... but she runs strong and goes fast!! And the wife wasn't irritated at me this time