Chrysler 70hp 707HA no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

72 Fury

Cadet
I have a 1972 Fury and a year ago my buddy helped me clean the carbs. We did new plugs and the boat started and ran fine with water muffs but I never used it on the lake. Now I want to take it out and it won't start and there's no spark. I put one of those testers inline to check spark and nothing. It doesn't sputter or anything.

that white/black wire on the right has 12v with ign on. Don't know what else to check.

back of cd box, could that crack just happen sitting for a year? Could that cause no spark?

Last edited:

72 Fury

Cadet
Should there be 12v on the one side of coil? The black wire is clearly ground and the grey wire is 0v. Is my cracked cd box junk?
The red circle is the grey wire

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Yes you should have 12VDC at black/white wire when ignition switch is in ON position.
The grey wire should have 0VDC, that is right.

The crack in the CD box could be the culpite. You can check the CD box by setting the #1 cyl. in TDC. Pull all plugs out and ground them and have the HT wires connected to each plug.
Unscrew the black/white wire from distributor and scratch it to ground. If CD box okey, the #1 plug should spark.
If no spark check the HT wires in the dist.cap for bad connection.
All that in good condition then the CD box is fried.

72 Fury

Cadet
Yes you should have 12VDC at black/white wire when ignition switch is in ON position.
The grey wire should have 0VDC, that is right.

The crack in the CD box could be the culpite. You can check the CD box by setting the #1 cyl. in TDC. Pull all plugs out and ground them and have the HT wires connected to each plug.
Unscrew the black/white wire from distributor and scratch it to ground. If CD box okey, the #1 plug should spark.
If no spark check the HT wires in the dist.cap for bad connection.
All that in good condition then the CD box is fried.

I did this test and I do get spark. Where do I test next? I really appreciate it. I almost wasted time and money.

Nordin

Commander
Well if you get spark when scratching the white/black wire to ground it means that the CD box is working and the triggering function (points) in the distributor does not work.

Check the points by cleaning it and regap to 014 in. As you disassemble the dist. also check, clean the cap and the rotor.

Nordin

Commander
Why do you want to pull off the rotor?
Not needed to set the points etc
I Think the rotor is fix to the shaft, you have to pull off the pully to slide out the shaft with the rotor..

72 Fury

Cadet
Why do you want to pull off the rotor?
Not needed to set the points etc
I Think the rotor is fix to the shaft, you have to pull off the pully to slide out the shaft with the rotor..

Still learning. Never messed with a cap, rotor, distributor and points.

Birdman20878

Recruit
Does anybody know how I can get ahold of one of these coils?

MODERATOR EDIT: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.