Chrysler - 70hp - 1979 - Impeller - Cooling System Flush?

locob

Cadet
I recently installed a new impeller and impeller housing on my '79 70hp Chrysler O/B. Started her up and ran her for a little while. It is currently not spitting water out from the exhaust port at the top of the motor. Are there any easy ways to check for obstructions or clear obstructions out? This was actually the initial problem that lead me to purchase a new impeller and housing.

Would it be best to get the motor fully immersed in water to test the system? I just don't have much confidence in my suction cup/ear-muff setup. If I run the hose backwards through the system I actually get water to drain out in reverse, But i haven't done this while running the motor.

Could it be the thermastat? I haven't had a chance to check whether it was stuck or not.

Any help would be much appreciated.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Chrysler - 70hp - 1979 - Impeller - Cooling System Flush?

Immersed in a deep bucket or in the water. Remove all doubt.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What holes you expecting water from?
The hole out the back of the mid section?
Picture?
On the hose you might not get enough water for the water to exit from the mid section.
That is an excess pressure relief hole.
It's designed that most water exits from the snout.

locob

Cadet

What holes you expecting water from?
The hole out the back of the mid section?
Picture?

Yeah the motor leg has two holes in the mid/upper cover. From most of the videos I've seen water is supposed to be expelled from these.

I'm starting to believe it is the thermostat. There shouldn't be any harm in replacing it.

locob

Cadet

Does anyone know if the overheat buzzer needs to be wired up in order for the thermostat to work?

foodfisher

Captain

Yes, nope, the thermostat is mechanical and seperate. The only connection is if the therm--- doesn't open, the engine will get hot and set off the overheat alarm. I personally wouldn't run with a disconnected overheat alarm.