Chrysler 35 Hp water flow problems

Jeff Peacock

Seaman
Good news- I caught the biggest pike of my life this week. 45 inches, 22 pounds. Bad news...on the way to the dock, the motor died. 35 hp Chrysler (350HA). It was smoking and the paint had peeled on the head. I'm assuming this means that the cooling system failed (amazing insight, I know). Having just replaced the forward gear and pinion in the gear housing, and put the lu back together and back on, I'm wondering if the impeller or the hose from the water pump to the engine failed. I ran it all day that day, and it only quit as I got back to the dock (almost a full tank of fuel later), which makes me think impeller. I've got a second one to put in, but I'm wondering if there's a way to ensure that the metal pipe from the water pump to the engine is connected properly after installation. To this point, we have yet to see the place it connects to, only felt it "snug in" as we put the lu back on. Also, would this engine have a tstat, and where is it located? Any help would be much appreciated!

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Chrysler 35 Hp water flow problems

There is an updated plastic grommet that is used on the water pump that extends higher into the leg. It makes missing the waterpipe less likely.<br /><br />You might also have to change the head gasket if you got it that hot.<br /><br />TMD

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I replaced my LU on my 55, I took the motor leg off too. I then reassembled everything and put the motor leg-LU assy on powerhead as 1 unit . That way I was sure the water tube was properly installed. It's not too hard to do. There are only 8 screws connecting powerhead to motor leg. This also gives you an opportunity to clean out the crud in the leg. The thermostat is located above the upper spark plug at the end of the clear tube or hose(which should always have water visibly running through it). If you take it out, be forewarned that the gasket is not available anymore. I think Chrysler recommends black permatex as a substitute. TMD should be able to verify.

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

Thanks- heading out to fix her right now. I've got the extra impeller, so we'll replace that, and I don't think the head needs replacing yet, although it's possible (My optimism being fueled by my lack of desire or ability to put more money into it right now, combined with my desire to get out on the lake!). Thanks for the help on the thermostat, that and the clear hose were two things I was wondering about. Only one other question- if we siphon (sp.?) water into the clear hose at the top of the engine, will water come out the intake? Is this a good way to check if the system is clear of obstruction? I'm replacing the clear hose because when the block over-heated, part of the hose melted a bit as well. Thanks a bunch.

scotiany

That clear hose is where you see the water exiting the water jacket and going to the thermostat. It gets to the water jacket via the water tube and impeller(water pump). If your clear hose melted, it's obvious the engine wasn't getting enough water. Could be a stuck thermostat but, I doubt it, Sounds more like a misaligned water tube or missing shaft key on the impeller.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If you are refering to the small gasket that covers the T-stat housing it is still available.<br /><br />TMD

scotiany

Hey TMD, that's good to hear it's still available.

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

Looks like it was a thermostat problem, although I'm not sure how to best diagnose that other than the following. We removed the old impeller- no visible damage, and replaced it with a new one. Replaced the clear hose with another section of matching hose. The motor started and spat water, and then the water flow stopped. We removed the thermostat, and now the water flows properly (only, it flows all the time- another thermostat is on the way). Will this constant water flow cause a problem (other than the engine running roughly) if I run the engine until I get a new tstat? There's only 3 weeks left in the fishing season out here... :)

The Marine Doctor

Commander

I could have had one to you in a couple days. As for running the engine that is not at operating temp...its not good for it. <br /><br />TMD

rinkerbuilt

Recruit

i have a mid 70's chrysler 35 hp and was wondering how much water should be coming out of the outlet? should it be a steady stream or spit at idle. its a pretty big outlet so i cant imagine it would be alot of water. the model number is 357ha. would it have the same type of tstat setup as the last guy was talking about?

thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Ah the marine doctor and scotiany. The good old days.

The motor will spit out a little. Not a lot comes out at idle and even at higher speeds water comes out but does not spray like a jet ski does. When you change your impeller the one in there might be a 10 vane one where the newer ones are only 6 vane. The 6 vane will push more water at idle then the 10 vane one will. When motor is running for a couple of minutes the water coming out of the tell tale should be hot but not burning hot.

sc001

Recruit

New to outboards and posting. sorry if this is posted wrong. I have a '75 35hp and nNO water coming out (using muffs) If I disconnect the clear hose from the t-stat and start the motor for a second, shouldn't I get a big flow of water if the impeller is OK? Would this be a good test? Does anyone know where to get a water flow diagram? I have a Chrisler service manual, but it's written as if I know quite a bit more about outboards than I do ( not too specific descriptions and few pix).

wickware

Lieutenant

I have a 1970 35 HP Chrysler and can share the following:

1. It spits unless you add a Tell Tale ?Teed? at T-Stat?s plug and flow is solid and easy to see off to the side. The Tell Tale exiting the lower housing vs cover is a better location.

2. I can see my water tube is connected from two pics at the leg and slightly feel making the connection.

3. IMO the muffs are forcing water vs the impeller pumping. I test ?deep? in a barrel or tailored at the lake. Muffs work for cooling while test etc vs the pump's force. Please see the attachments (10 vain impeller): jow

Attachments

• 1970 35 HP Chrysler Water Tube To Pump.JPG
    1970 35 HP Chrysler Water Tube To Pump.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 4
  • 1970 35 HP Chrysler Water Tube To Pump 2.JPG
    1970 35 HP Chrysler Water Tube To Pump 2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
  • A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (10).jpg
    A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (10).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4

fucawi

Banned

To ensue water feed pipe alignes put a length of garden hose ..about 4 in over the pump outlet to guide it in ... and take the plug out the top of the head and fit a proper modern tell tail .. you only need a 1/8 hole to get a good visible jet ..