Chrysler 105hp, to buy or not to buy?

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Everyone,<br /><br /> I enjoy working on motors and am a novice at best, but I like to learn with all of your help. I recently put an ad in the paper and have had a couple calls with the most interesting being on a '74 Chrysler 105hp. The guy only wants $150 or so, he put a new CD ignition in it and well as a timing belt and several other things. The main problem with it is that when he put in the new piston I guess he thinks he put in the cage bearings wrong, and its all too tight. Does this sound familiar? Would it even be worth it for someone pretty unexperienced like myself to try working on it? I would like to learn but is this too big of a project? Are these ok motors or pretty troublesome? Thanks!!

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Chrysler 105hp, to buy or not to buy?

To be honest....troublesome would best describe it.<br />Parts availability is not the greatest for these, so one must consider that as well.<br />If you wanted to spend a 100$ for a project, that might be ok, but don't expect alot from that engine. Of that vintage, they were about 10yrs behind in technology.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Chrysler's reputation is at the bottom end for reliability. How much money do you want to spend on top of your initial $150? How patient will you be when it's costing you as much(or more) as a decent motor would have cost you in the first place less the time and problems? Do you like being stranded on the water instead of boating? <br /><br />You will certainly have a learning experience, but I am not sure the lesson learned will be what you were looking for.<br /><br />...and in the end you still have a POS. I wouldn't.

odie

Cadet

Any old motor that was cared for should be just fine. But this one has obviously had problems.<br /><br />Cage bearings??? I'm new at this so I'm guessing maybe these are the rod bearings? If so then the crank has likely been ruined the first time the motor was turned over if the bearings were installed wrong.<br /><br />FWIW, I just bought a 1973 National with a 1973 105 Chrysler on the boat. I have not tried to start it yet.<br /><br />Any motor that is not running good before you buy it is probably going to be a money pit. You really don't know what it needs.<br /><br />Look it over closely, it may be a fair deal or just a fancy boat anchor.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I kinda thought all that from the start. I think I'll keep looking. It was a little tempting to finally get the big motor I want at a good price.

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would stay away from that one, but the wrap that chrysler outboards get on this forum is in my opinion sometimes unfair. It may be true that they were simple, but if they are properly maintained, they last about like any other outboard

mjbrueck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My first outboard (at 12y/o) was a Chrysler, ran fine the first time I took it out. Second time, it wouldn't start. My dad had a service station, so he took it to his mechanic. The mechanic disassembled it and then quit (probably not because of the motor). So I got it back it two 5 gallon buckets. After that, I've avoided Chrysler outboards.