Chronic Wasting Disease

one more cast

Captain
CWD has hit in NY. They have only found it in deer farms but they (the NYSDEC) are going to kill 450 wild deer just to test them. So far 125 were killed and all tested neg. Why couldn't they just wait until hunting season and have the hunters turn in the heads for testing instead of killing all those deer. It makes me sick.

ndemge

Commander
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease

...and why don't I get to put the negative result deer into my freezer!!! At least give the stuff away1

eeboater

Commander

We've been dealing with this for years.<br /><br />Have fun with that... <br /><br />Sean

ehenry

Commander

You're jokiing I hope, OMC. THats ludicrous

one more cast

Captain

No joke....Onieda county NY, you know, the county with the 9.75% sales tax. <br /> NOTE: I'm not sure what you had to edit JB but sorry if I did something wrong.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

They did the same thing up here on the Alberta/Saskatchewan boarder -- to see if any CWD had got from the Sask. deer farms into AB deer.<br /><br />Found non - tell that to the 400+ deer; or the ones left -- bet they feel better.<br /><br />I think they do it by contract hunting to keep the protesters away -- sport hunting is bad as you know.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only thing you did "wrong" was misspell disease, OMC. You spelled it decease, which is to die. :) <br /><br />I fixed the spelling.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes the threat od CWD is "supposed to be moving towards VT too. Bad enough we deal with an occasional diseased Moose with a "brain worm" but now they are building up this CWD too.<br /><br />We have about the lowest deer kill in the nation now I just can't see it getting worse.<br /><br />OMC you are right.<br /><br />Bob

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I will say no more than the POS sniveling "sportsman" who does business with "game farm" hunts and the "game farm" businesses who cater to these folks are partly to blame. <br /><br />The BIG finger should be pointed at the State Game Managers who look the other way regarding "game farms" due to the under the table monies provided to the State pols and their charges who should be strictly managing the "game farms".<br /><br />We in WI never had a problem with CWD 'till some of the game farm "trophies", or those from the game farm herd, were either allowed to be or did get loose into the wild.<br /><br />BTW, my opinion of "sportsmen" who pay to hunt the farms are.......shall I say,....less than men!!! <br /><br />" yep, I shot that one on the wall there with my .338 blowcrosscanyonmag, damn good shot for 30 yards and the beast was chained up to boot feeding on the corn my outfitter set for me!!!!"

one more cast

Captain

pjc, when I said game farm I guess I should have said deer farm. These farmers raise deer to butcher. Plus I should have checked for any updates before posting... CWD updates

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

But they're bought and sold, and they go to any number of "farms" with a variety of purposes. Now there's a proposed virtual hunt proposed where you aim a gun with your computer and shoot the critter from anywhere you can get the internet. Sport? Words can't come close! :mad:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Chances are that these "game farms" have a lot to do with causing and spreading the disease.<br />Why would this thing jump a thousand miles overnight unless somebody bought a breeder buck from another farm in the contaminated area??????<br />What do these deer get fed? Could it be that in this largely unregulated business somebody bought left over mad cow disease causing feed for really cheap???<br />I'm not well informed, but I am very curious.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry OMC, love ya man. But these "farms" of any nature are a huge source of problems. Not only warm blooded species. The current threat to the Great lakes are big head carp. Originally this fish was farmed for food. They breached the confines of the fish farmers and now are in the natural rivers and threatening native species. Just one example of threating "farmed fish I just noted.<br /><br />The warm blooded "game animals"? My states DNR claims that a portion of the CWD problem results from people feeding corn to them for example. This corn may carry disease from commercial livestock. Seems to me a sound hypothesis's. In my state of WI, big bucks are being made by rural folks selling bagged shelled corn. Money to be made, damn the consequences.<br /><br />Sorry for ranting on about a very complex issue. The CWD that is "new" to some of the Eastern States has been prevalent in some Western States, such as Colorado Elk for some time. I do believe that the newer States that have exposure to the CWD dilemma are experiencing a somewhat "panic" due the unknown economic impact that the States economies that benefit from hunting license sales and the resulting monies gained from hunting. I am starting to really rant on, must sign off as my kids need to see dad get them to sleep......later all.....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't intend to start a shouting match over this and I don't know about other states, but here in Kentucky it is a tightly regulated field by the Ky. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.<br /><br />My daughter has an exotic animal hunt farm and every animal they bring in has to be checked by a vet with a KDFW officer there before it is released to her.<br /><br />They also check the places at random and they had better have all their ducks in a row or they are shut down and the animals confiscated. They do not mess around here in Ky.<br /><br />I hope pjc was stereotyping the hunt farms cause my daughter's is not run like that.<br />They have an 100 acre farm fenced in all the way around by 10' fence and no animal gets out except when it's shot.<br /><br />Now mind you these are all exotic animals, <br />CORSCIAN ,BARBADO, ANGORA GOAT, SPANISH GOAT, CATALINA GOAT, TEXAS DALL, PAINTED DESERT, BLACK HAWAIIN, BARBIROUSSA, JACOB 4 HORN, MOUFLON, IBEX, and AOUDAD just to name a few so maybe they are different type of farm than what you are talking about.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

this is highly paraphrased and I could spew out a good yarn on it so don't get too involved with my post concerning things I don't touch on ... 'cuz<br />as EE said.. We've been dealing with this for years. <br /><br />CWD - first of all, its been around for years gentlemen..<br /><br />secondly - its a shame they're doing the "killing" cause thats all it is.. waste by any motivation.<br /><br />third - I handle dogs or 'guide' occasional bird hunts with a specific "Game Farm" here in WI that caters to high end clients for Whitetail hunts. this ranch has tested negative for CWD in each specimen taken off the place.. call it what you will - specifically its a game of chance and a very challenging situation they put you in. One client in particular has had 2 unsuccessful trips there.. you want big, yep.. you pay for it.. these boys are bred for big.. but you have to hunt for 'em.. no shooting off feeders or even near 'em or the hunt is over.. you're out the deer AND up to $20,000 the last I heard depending on what they've tendered for a specific class animal.<br /><br />CWD has had litterally no effect on humans.. only 2 cases that I've researched (if I remember correctly) have resulted in death by consuming MASSIVE quantities of infected flesh from Cervidae (the 'Deer family') and that flesh had been poorly butchered since the lymph nodes and neurosystem is where its contained to...<br /><br />I better stop this could go on fer ever.... :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />OMC.. good luck with dealing with it. Its a poor situation to be in especially when the auto insurance companies have the governments ear like they do ;)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by NoelMG:<br /> ...and why don't I get to put the negative result deer into my freezer!!! At least give the stuff away1
exactly!... they do mostly around here.. the meat gets ground into burger and sent to food pantrys..