choosing the right pitch(prop)

Max7

Seaman
can somebody help me geting the right prop(pitch) for my mercury model#1500 150hp 1978 outboard 6cyld in line,I got it on a 19FT bayliner center console from 1986 and I usually carry 5 people, my old prop is broken and I need to buy a new one but I want to get the right pich for the right boat and weight. thank for any help :p

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: choosing the right pitch(prop)

You need a prop that will keep your RPM range in the factory zone. You do not want to lug a motor. You need it to keep in its WOT RPM range. I would bet a 17 pitch would be great, but if your boat is light, you might be able to go to a 19p. Anyway, that is the million dollar question.. Look on the old prop and look at the numbers stamped on it. If you like the performance of your old prop, find the numbers and get a replacement. If you broke the blade(s) off, they can rebuild them for about $50 to $75 for aluminum props. Get the numbers and post back. I have seen tons on EBay.

Max7

Seaman

thank bushCat you right my propeller is a 17 pitch. I will go for the 19P, onother question you you think tha it will perform better with a 4 blade 19p or a 3 blade 19P?

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

The 4 blade will give more bite out of the hole, as stated by the Marine Doc.... I would use the 3 blade on your motor, it will be easier to spin out of the hole, especially when loaded up. Merc used a two blade in the old days on this same motor. You might inquire about a 19p with vented blades(helps the prop spin out of the hole). Anyway, talk to your local prop shop or just go out on Ebay and get you a good used or new one cheep........

Max7

Seaman

how do I know a vented blades prop looks like ?

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

They have holes (round or square) in the prop hub, in front of the leading edge of the prop blade. What this does is upon takeoff, the exhaust pressure blows a little out of the holes and lets the prop spin(cavitate) until the boat starts moving, and the water flow eventually moves over the holes, and vacuum keeps the holes from blowing bubbles any more. I have a 19p quicksilver "Mirage Plus" on one of my center consoles. The vent holes help this boat rev up coming out of the hole. Anyway, propshop can help you.