Choke to solenoid primer changeover

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a ‘76 evinrude 200hp with choke! Can this be changed over to a primer solenoid setup? And if so, what would need to be done? Different carbs or maybe just remove the choke plates from the current carbs? And of course, primer solenoid. Anything else! Why did JOHNSON/Evinrude change from choke to solenoid primer in the first place? I’m just curious! Did it make motors easier to start or possible a power thing?

a937539

Cadet
I have a ‘76 evinrude 200hp with choke! Can this be changed over to a primer solenoid setup? And if so, what would need to be done? Different carbs or maybe just remove the choke plates from the current carbs? And of course, primer solenoid. Anything else! Why did JOHNSON/Evinrude change from choke to solenoid primer in the first place? I’m just curious! Did it make motors easier to start or possible a power thing?
Removing the choke butterfly=less air restrictions and better performance my 93 has a plastic cover that allows the fuel from the primer to go behind the throttle plate in a primer jet close to the idle jets.
Comparing parts diagram of the motors might give you a better idea of the parts needed and the parts differences.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The primer set up does not make more power.----It is only used for starting.-----The primer is an electric valve.----It is not a pump.----That primer is a wonderful device !!----So simple and effective.-----Makes for near instant starts if used properly.-=---I have even installed that unit on an inline 6 MERCURY.----Easy to do if you find bypass covers with the nipples ( 1981 V-4 and V-6 ) or make nipples to install on your bypass covers or carburetors.----Easy to install in my opinion.