Choke switch?????

Jacques Nel

Cadet
I had no idea that my boat had a choke switch built into the ignition switch setup. :confused: :confused: <br /><br />I had my Scimitar 160 and 80 Mariner about 6 months and got sick of having to remove the outboard cover to get to the choke when starting it up. So I told the service guy to see if he could rig something up that would enable me to engage the choke without the hassle. Upon collecting the boat next day he showed me how the choke switch seemed to be working OK by pressing in the ignition key. This , of course, being completely new to me prompted a response along the lines of. "OK it must have been slightly stuck when I tried it."<br /><br />The price of dignity indeed. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Choke switch?????

when I bought my boat the guy was telling me everything about it and he got to the starting procedure. pump gas bulb till hard push key in till you hear click then turn key. Well the next day my wife and I went to the river and dropped it in for our first boating trip ever. Tied off to the dock and tried to start it and it cranks and cranks. people are staring and snickering and I try some more. I am embarassed by this time and wife is asking if we should shove off and get it started when we are away from everyone. "um no honey if it doesnt start I dont wanna swim back do you?" Tried some more and some more and finally kill the battery. She keeps trying to tell me new stuff to try and I dont wanna listen, she says hey try keeping the key pushed in when you start it (DUH) Try it and it finally sputtered but died with the battery. pulled it back on the trailer, tied it down while people stared, and snickered some more stopped by walmart to get a jump box in case something happend the next time and went home to charge the battery. In my defense the guy didnt tell me to hold the key in to keep it choked.

Link

Rear Admiral

That was quick thinking... :) but its not just with boats. Was having coffee with the owner of a cafe and she said her son had just bought a new sports car and was comming over to give her a ride. He came in then they went out. 5 minutes later she came back in and said the car wouldnt start and the dealership was closed, who should they call. (because I know them) I told her tell him to push in the clutch then turn the key. :) :)

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I once had an acquaintance ask me for help. He said he drove his car to the mess hall and when he got ready to leave it wouldn't start. So, I walked over there with him, sat down and asked him where the keys were. He said "They're still in the ignition, I couldn't get them out either."<br />I look down, put the car in "P", "Park", "Pavement" whatever you want to call it. The key came right out and the car would start up just fine after that.<br />This car had sat there for three days before he asked me for help.... :) I bet he was glad it was on a military base....hehe.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Funny, but we've had our boat for a year. When we launch, my wife starts the boat and backs it off the trailer, and I pull the trailer out and park the truck. She waits for me at the dock and away we go.<br /><br />We never had any trouble at all with this until last weekend. The darned motor just would not start. After much fiddling and borrowing the battery out of my brother-in-laws car to get the motor started, we finally got out on the water. I found out that evening my wife did not know that the ignition had to be turned on for the choke to operate.<br /><br />So now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how she managed to start it all those other times!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

achris

More fish than mountain goat

A few years ago I answered a distress call from a guy who was miles out to sea and couldn't get his engine into gear. When I got there he showed me. Sure enough, the control handle wouldn't budge from neutral. So I leant over and showed him that he had to lift the lock tab on the bottom of the handle to be able to push it forward. <br /><br />To this day I haven't figured out how he got out that far out in the first place!<br /><br />Chris..............

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Dad had just bought a 95 tauras. He had driven it a couple of months. One day he came over to visit. When he left after about 10 minutes I noticed him still in driveway. Went out to check on him. I asked "whats wrong?", He says I can't get thing out of park. Long story short, he learned about safty on brake switch.

jyasaki

Cadet

A girl at work bought a new Jeep Wrangler. The second day she had it, a bunch of people from work did the way-too-many-margarita thing at El Torito's. I left before she did.<br /><br />At work the next day the buzz was all about her new Jeep being stolen from the El T's parking lot. As the week went by, it turns out the insurance company won't pay until the frame is found.<br /><br />Long story short, about 6 weeks later, she gets a phone call at work; it's from the company whose parking lot is next to El Torito's. They're asking if she owns a Jeep with no license plates, and is she ever going to move it from their lot?<br /><br />Apparently, she parked there as the El T lot was full, and forgot.<br /><br />Surprisingly, she actually told her coworkers what actually transpired. I think I would have blamed some joyriding car thieves or something.<br /><br /><br />jky